Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs **Help with 51-52 Chevy beltline measurement**

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by BadLuck, Jan 10, 2012.

1. BadLuck

BadLuck

I bought both rear beltline moldings for my hardtop.. one was a little longer than the other (which didn't matter, because they both have to be cut anyways since my roof moved forward after the chop) but the longer one.. approx 74 1/2.. doesnt fit the curve as well as the one that is approx. 68 1/2. The curve is slightly tighter on the shorter one..what i need to figure out is.. what is the shorter one from? Coupe or a sedan? Can somebody measure theres, and let me know so i know what to look for? The guy i bought them from bought them at different times for extra parts.. he wasnt sure either :) Thanks! heres a pic of the two i have... the shorter one fits perfect...

[​IMG]

2. BadLuck

BadLuck

3. Boones

Boones
    from Kent, Wa
    1. Northwest HAMBers

if you need me to measure my factory hardtop stainless let me know

4. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks Boones.. but i was able to determine its NOT the hardtop trim i need.. so im guessing its sedan or coupe trim?? can anybody measure their rear beltline trim for me? looking for the one that is about 68 1/2 long. thanks

5. BadLuck

BadLuck

6. BadLuck

BadLuck

anybody recognize the top molding?

7. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

you need hardtop trim for a hardtop. the beltline trim on the door is different also.

I just sold my coupe trim to my buddy who bought hardtop trim for his 51 Coupe. the curve is way different. need some hardtop trim? maybe he can help you out... let me know he had the whole set last time I spoke to him..

I just measured my 1949 coupe beltline on the car and got 68" from the center of the back window to the door jamb. the longer one must be from a 2 door sedan??? I don't have a hardtop to measure, but I don't think the difference would be that much between coupe and hardtop trim..

8. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks 49ratfink.. im not sure either... the length doesnt matter because it has to be cut because of my chop.. i bought the beltline i have now from BobK.. but he wasnt sure what came of what either.. he just had some laying around.. the small one in the pic fits good.. just need driver side.. looks like it might be from a coupe because that 68" is the same measurement as the one that works for me..?? it has a tighter curve.. if you look closely, you can see the longer one has more of a graceful curve to it.. hmm.. thanks for the help buddy

9. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

the tight curved short one is the hardtop trim. we just went through this with my buddy a couple weeks ago. he has a 51 coupe, and the dork that sold the beltline trim to him said the hardtop stuff was the same as coupes. WRONG.

he brought it over to my shop to see if I knew why it did not fit right. I think they even said 50 - 52 hardtop on them. we lined them up with my coupe and the hardtop trim has a much tighter radius around the corners. Also the door beltline trim is cut at an angle on hardtops, and straight on coupes and 2 door sedans.

after some thought and a few beers I'd say you have one hardtop trim and one 2 door sedan trim.

the short one fits right? if not did you maybe change that curve in the beltline bump on the car?

the hardtop chops seem to have a whole different box full of issues than the coupes and sedans. I spoke with a guy with a very nice chopped hardtop and he said he had his corner windows made by a place that makes airplane canopies. Probably not cheap.

10. BadLuck

BadLuck

thanks for the info! ive got Pontiac beltline trim for the doors and the piece between the door and rear beltline.. so i just need enough to make the corner and meet up with the pontiac "shark Fin" piece.. my rear window didnt change much..neither did the beltline hump.. my center glass goes back in no problem.. and my corners almost do.. we have a glass guy here in the desert that does work for Winfield, Jesse James, and a bunch of other builders.. he said hes got my corners figured out.. we'll see! if not.. guess im off to airplane canopies R us.. thanks again for the help, CJ

Attached Files: