Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with 331 Hemi engine

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Retro Jim, Apr 21, 2010.

1. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I found an ad where someone has a 331 Hemi Industrial engine for sale that is running and been rebuilt .
    What is the difference between the 331 Hemi and the industrial engine .
    I can buy it cheap but don't know the difference between them.

I hope I can get an answer so I can try to buy the engine !

Retro Jim

2. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Sometimes alot, sometimes very little, depending on how it was used. The dizzy was generally mechanical advance, the intake manifold was designed a little different in the runners since it was run at constant RPM's, cam profile, water system might vary slightly, few things. Most of which are minor and can be corrected during a rebuild and parts swapping. Also, some have adjustable rockers assemblies which are getting harder to find. Depending on what the person is asking, might be worth getting it just for the rockers, if it has them. Adjustables will be obvious from the valve covers with the bumps between the spark plug holes and would say ChryslerIndustrial on the covers as well. Otherwise it would have standard rockers.

Some industrial motors can be cross referenced by a number in front of the valley cover stamped into the block and would have IND in front, however most have a tag on the rear bellhousing with the numbers on the tag.

Check out the HEMI Tech section for more info. The link is in my signature line. Click on the banner...

3. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

ALSO! The heads tend to have sodium filled exhaust valves and some other strange things including a steam port in the middle, and generally no water ports out the front. But not always! I have some heads from an Industrial engine that have water ports and I've had heads that don't. Again, depends on year, application, etc.

4. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Thanks for the help .
    He says it's rebuilt ( ?? ) then the heads were rebuilt also .

He is asking $375 !

Retro Jim

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. scootermcrad

scootermcrad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why are you still on here?? Shouldn't you be running to the bank to withdrawl $375?? :eek: For that price, even if it had issues, it would probably be worth it. Lots of interchangable parts between that motor and other low-deck Chrysler Hemis (331 and 354). If it trully IS rebuilt, don't TRUST that it is!!! Inspect it when you get it home! I learned a very hard lesson by being overly optimistic about a Hemi I had that was ALSO supposedly "rebuilt".

Either way, probably a decent deal!

6. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

I know nothing about them but it's an early hemi .
    I am a Ford guy . I emailed him because that is the way he left the ad .
    All I can do is hope I can buy it then turn it over . He says it runs now so I am hoping I can here it run .

Retro Jim

7. mart3406

mart3406
    from Canada

For 375 bucks I'd grab it, whatever it is, but just so you know,
    not all of the Industrial hemis were 331 or 354 Chrysler based.
    Chrysler also sold some 241, 270 (and I think 325) Dodge
    Industrial hemis based on the smaller Dodge blocks. Whatever
    it is, if it's a hemi and it's not severely blown up, it's worth $375!

Mart3406
    ===================================

8. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

If it has the cast iron timing cover the pattern is different from the car. Also the oil pan bolt pattern is different up front. The crank gear is different also. And the crank snout. But sure worth $375!! Lippy

9. crider

crider

Yes for that price you should grab it

10. Retro Jim

Retro Jim

Well , I just got off the phone with the guy and there is one before me .
    I will more than likely not get it ,there's a guy wants it for his street rod that has first grabs at it . :(

Anyway the engine was rebuilt and it was used in a factory and the guy checked it and it's a Chrysler 331 Hemi . He said the bell housing is part of the engine block too . Small 2 bbl carb . Was running . Still turns over and is complete . I guess i won't get it but won't know till 11 am tomorrow .

Anyway thanks for all the help .

Retro Jim