Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help with 215 OHV I6 2x1 set up

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 51PanelMan, Oct 14, 2012.

1. 51PanelMan

51PanelMan

I got my truck back on the road after a full engine rebuild, but am now having problems with it running lean/rich and still backfiring slightly. The engine is a Ford 215 OHV 6 There's also blue/black smoke coming out of the tailpipe. I took it into a mechanic that's familiar with multiple set ups, but on V8s. He told me that the linkage that I have isn't progressive (linkage came with the kit) and that one carb is running more fuel than the other. Another thing he told me is that my set up doesn't have a hard stop to control the idle speed. He's unable to ajust/sync them, as well as set the timing.

I've seen a few other I6 dual carb set ups that had progressive linkage. Appears that I may need that type of linkage that I need. I had both carbs rebuilt, but still think they weren't done correctly. I don't think that they're jetted right to work together. Mine may be jetted too high.

This is my set up now.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm wondering if any one knows of someone who is more knowledgeable with multi-carb set ups that can take a look and tell me what's wrong. I'm in the Bay Area (California) and don't mind a little travel. Perhaps someone knows who can build me a progressive linkage or know where I can buy one? Also, where to obtain a hard stopper for the carbs? Lastly, maybe someone who's familiar with Holley 1904s and can go through my carbs again and get them done right to work as a pair.

I really want to keep the dual intake set up, so any help/guidance would be greatly appreciated. I'm anxious to get some answers because I need to get back to my mechanic on Monday or pull the truck until I get more answers. Thanks for the help.

2. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

The idle stop is on the carb. Both should still be there unless someone removed them. Simultaneous opening linkage is correct for your application. Stock jetting should be ok.

I don't know what could be wrong except the carbs were not rebuilt properly or adjusted properly. Those breathers aren't big enough but that should not stop it from running at all.

I'd start by checking the float level (easy on your carbs) then the idle adjustments.

3. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Rusty is correct you can NOT run a progressive linkage on that setup. Mixture distribution would be terrible. If it has bckfired through the carbs you may have killed the power valves. Disconnect the linkage between the carbs ,back the idle stop screws away from the carb arm. Then trun back untill the just touch and then 2 turns more to begin. Put some light springs on each carb to keep throttles against the stops,start and adjust each the same anount fast/slower till you get the idle speed you need. You realy need a "Uni-syn" to set then with. If/when you get a good idle adjust the connecting link to where it just fits without moving either carb.