Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP...Wide White Wall Tech ! ! !

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dullchrome, Nov 30, 2010.

1. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Anyone have experience with dismounting newish white walls? I am thinking about changing my wheel color and need to dismount or break both beads on my newish white walls with out damaging the white portion of the tire.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  2. Lost in the Fifties

Lost in the Fifties

Use cardboard under bead breaker to protect whitewall from scuffing.

3. agree. cardboard or something of the sort to put in between the bead breaker and your white wall. and make sure its clean.

4. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

I have tried taping the breaker wheels but it tears off as soon as the breaker starts to roll.

5. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

Tried that and the breaker wheels just cut/tore right trough the cardboard

6. wheels? what kind of breaker are you using????

all the ones iv used have a large metal 'blade' looking thing, it would be easy to use cardboard on one like i mentioned. you must be using the old style steel wheel machine. wich is going to pretty much scuff them up no matter what you do.

there are wheel shops that have the nylon stuff on their machines that are supposed to be gentle..

7. im trying to think what machine has wheels for the bead breaker...is it one of the new machines that has a bar that drops down with a wheel that rides around the bead? if so most of those wheels are plastic.

if not i would say take it to the bead breaker i mentioned, its a metal blade on the side of the machine, it would work if you just used cardboard on this type of machine. i worked at sears and this is the machine we used.

8. I use a split rubber hose over the blade and a rag on the white wall

9. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

10. yeah ,i got ya. thats a semi newer style machine. but in all honesty,go use the type im mentioning. eyeball is talking about the same machine i am. you just use a blade type thing to brake the bead while the tire is on the ground, you can just shuv something between it and the tire, or use the rubber hose as he mentioned.

i dont see another way of breaking the beads without dirtying up the whites.

11. dullchrome

dullchrome
    from SoCal

12. i understand trying to do it yourself, who wouldnt?

that older machine is the only one i can see that you can keep from scuffing tho. if your rollers were brand new they would not be to bad. i used one that was realy fresh and it was clean enough to do what your wanting to do.

i cant think of any other way cause that roller can bind and not work at all(thinkin if you could put a towel on the tire but i dont think it would roll)

13. we need a shop!!!! I come across fairly cheap 40/40 machine but I have no damn room.