Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help where do you live

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by sdluck, Jan 7, 2021.

1. sdluck

sdluck

Many people have asked for help and because of the person asking for help won't or doesn't want to put down where they live, it makes it hard for us to answer .The guy might be next door

2. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Yes, I wish they would too. I could offer a hand, a part or a beer .:D

Hombre, Boryca, mgtstumpy and 5 others like this.
  3. 51504bat

51504bat
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree as well. I used to list my location as SoCal but SoCal is a big place so I added my home town as well. The way I look at it damn near everything about me is on the net down to what size chonies I wear already so what's the big deal about listing my home town? JMO

slim38, Hombre, chryslerfan55 and 7 others like this.
  4. Budget36

Budget36

I agree, my guess is many feel "safer" in their minds by not doing so?

5. I always feel bad for the guy or kid that lives in the middle of nowhere or doesn't have any sort of car scene around them.
    I'm fortunate enough to have grown up in a great area with a still thriving car culture. Our summers feel short in the Pacific Northwest sometimes but are always memorable and a hell of a lot of fun.

6. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

The Pacific Northwest, or as I like to call it...............The Great Wet North.
    Not to be confused with The Great White North a little farther...........north.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2021
  7. 41rodderz

41rodderz
    from Oregon

Especially these last few weeks .:mad::(

8. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

Nor Cal East Bay, close enough?

Budget36, 51504bat and lothiandon1940 like this.
  9. I find it amazing that folks will happily put their birthdays (maybe they lie:eek:), but don't feel safe putting at least a "general" area in their profile.:confused:

10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

"Safer" yeah. Paranoid maybe too. I got buddies that won't give me their E mail address or cell phone number. So I can't send them stuff I happen to find on the internet for their cars or projects yet they keep asking me how do I do this or where can I get that....Sad me thinks.

11. For someone new here jumping in on this without your location is sort of calling the kettle black. Pacific Northwest to me describes Idaho, Oregon, Northern California, and Washington. Care to fix it?

12. Budget36

Budget36

Sure. Ie if you had something for sale, say a transmission that I could pick up, I’m sure I could spend an easy day on the drive. If just “California “, might be 9 hours away from me.

13. Z06-LITE

Z06-LITE

I have no problem posting the city I live in. It's not like someone is going to look me up and kidnap me for my life savings!

slim38, Jrs50, Jibs and 15 others like this.
  14. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

This has been a ‘pet peeve’ with me for a long time. I can only conclude that there are a helluva lot of HAMBers in the Government Witness Protection Program......or, maybe....being sought by the Law! :confused:

Ray

15. I remember we were having this discussion a few years ago and Denise, @hotrodladycrusr was kind of enough to not only post a "general" location , but gave out her street address in Metro Detroit and pretty much invited anyone to stop by......Brave girl.:D

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  16. A few years ago i thought it would be funny to use the exact coordinates of my garage. It didn’t take long for me to realize that wasn’t great idea considering i post a lot of pics of my junk. Now i just use “ the southern tip of lake Michigan” i don’t live in a town or city so even a crappy map will get you within a few miles of my house.
    My place is on this map!
    36117B6D-2575-4386-A3FA-CEADF2C2175E.jpeg

Last edited: Jan 7, 2021
  17. hotrodjack33

hotrodjack33
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think a lot of folks, when they first sign up to the HAMB, put down the least amount of info just to get registered...and never go back to update their profile.

Maybe a mandatory yearly update would help.

18. Seb, then they are not buddies. They are just acquaintances.

swade41, mad mikey, bchctybob and 7 others like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Good idea......but make a general location a mandatory part of initial registration

20. Pretty sure he misinterpreted the thread title. It is ambiguous.
    (as in "is there anyone to help with car stuff near you?" not "Why don't people give their location?")

I know the actual 1st post does make the question clearer.

kidcampbell71 and warhorseracing like this.
  21. rudestude

rudestude

Here I am...
    Clues- Oregon
    - Next to Columbia River
    - about 1 mile , as the crow flys, from my house was a Nuclear power plant until they blew it up a few years ago.
    - I'm now easier to find in the dark.
    Note:the sun is out....crap, well it was.
    earth_postcard_1610060065.jpeg

Sent from my SM-T387V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

22. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Wow, I fished for salmon quite often at Social Security beach at Prescott in the early 80's.
    I don't fish anymore but I am on the dole.

23. stanlow69

stanlow69
    Member Emeritus

Says the person from San Jose. Population 900,000 +. I`m from a town of 6000, if you know what state Albert the Bull is from, you know where Red Oak is. So that`s like the same thing. A general vicinity of where we live. .

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  24. I wouldn’t be paranoid if they weren’t out to get me. Sometimes I’ve had a hard time getting a few guys to give me their address so I can send them the money order that wanted in payment for what they had for sale. There are a few sane people left though...I bought a manual the other day off a guy on the web who sent it to me the day before I got a money order out to him. I can remember back in the 60’s and 70’s we all trusted each other and the only place to buy most things was mail order or ads in Old Car Weekly and Hemings. Trust was the order of the day. God, I’m getting old.....

25. But even when you do have your location on there, and you are looking for advice where to get something, someone will always say something like "yeah, just get one from NAPA, they have plenty in stock". The only NAPa around these parts is me on the couch around 2p.m.

iron dave, Jrs50, bchctybob and 5 others like this.
  26. beegator

beegator

Be careful you are only a half hour from me... lol

27. There are 12 in Australia.
    (Not in SA;))

chryslerfan55 and lothiandon1940 like this.
  28. Dang - sure would like to pick up those brownies for the NOS flatheads I gave her at the Texas Thaw for her walk way.
    Red Oak is about 30 miles from me here in Texas - lets meet up for a beer sometime.

29. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Another Hamber who lives maybe ten miles from me and I both use Yakima Valley as we both live in the valley. That probably should be Lower Yakima Valley but if you are On I 82 anywhere between Union Gap and Prosser you are within 30 minutes of either of us. If you have driven US 97 from Goldendale to Yakima you have been right past my house.