Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Help!? What exactly is this?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctorterry, Sep 20, 2015.

1. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

So I pass this ole van twice a week and I'm in love with it for some reason!! My dad thinks I'm nuts. Anyways, what is it? I know it's an econoline, but I've never seen them with the square headlights. ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442797057.323818.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1442797075.431622.jpg

2. Tony

Tony

Those headlights are 80's era GM someone grafted to the poor thing.

3. Katuna

Katuna
    from Clovis,Ca.

Save the poor thing and put a proper face on it again. Who the hell ever thought THAT looked better than the original? Hillbillies!

38fordpickup likes this.
  4. pitman

pitman

"Check my custom machine!" Brian Wilson '62

5. Looks like 1976 Buick headlamp and parking lamp assemblies.... 1976 Buick.jpg

6. Tony

Tony

Yep they do....70's or 80's, those are just wrong on anything aside from what they were originally designed for. :)

Last edited: Sep 20, 2015
  7. Someone's gonna agree with your Dad.

8. Buddy Palumbo

Buddy Palumbo

Am I seeing frenched taillights as well ?

9. verde742

verde742

move on citizen, nuthin' to see here...

it will put your eye out, kid !!!
    and drain yer bank account !!!

Last edited: Sep 21, 2015
  10. KCsledz

KCsledz

That van is not worth it. I drive past it a couple times a week also. There is too much to do on that sucker.

11. Squablow

Squablow

Was a popular mod in the late 70's, lots of '64 Impalas got square headlights around that time.

I'm not into the look, but whoever did it, did a good job of it from what I can see, looks like they tapered off the center body line real nice and inset the bezels into the sheetmetal instead of just hacking a rectangle hole and bolting the lights in. I'd bet there are other mods done to it as well, might have been a real nice machine in it's day.

volvobrynk likes this.
  12. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Am I wrong for wanting it? Looks like there are some mixed feelings from you all. I was thinking about shop van? Slamming it, putting a logo on the panel... Cool? No?

volvobrynk likes this.
  13. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Follow YOUR OWN inclinations. Worst thing that can happen is, at some point you decide this vehicle was a poor choice, but you'll know why you feel that way. Upside is, you may be very satisfied with it for your purposes. Be your own man, make your own decisions and accept the results, whatever the outcome.

Ray

kiwijeff, volvobrynk and Doctorterry like this.
  14. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Maybe it's an Argentine model ;)

[​IMG]

volvobrynk likes this.
  15. Tony

Tony

You're not wrong at all!!
    What we think is completely irrelevant so if you want it go get it.
    I personally just dont think the headlight style/trim fits very well thats all. But im no expert on anything and again, my opinion is just that, an opinion.
    Tony

volvobrynk likes this.
  16. metalman

metalman

Like Ssquablow said, that was real common in the 70's. Seem as soon a Detroit came out with square headlamps everyone wanted to retro fit them into their old car weather they looked good or not. Square lights in a round car, yeah, it'll look good!

volvobrynk likes this.
  17. Go for it and if you like that ugly face leave it as is,but you can always do some surgery and restore the Econolines original headlights. HRP

volvobrynk likes this.
  18. Well you are in Carthage so it would be a hippy van unless it is imported from Malibu in which case it is a surf van. ;)

I would like to own it myself, so I can't say that you ( @Doctorterry ) are wrong in wanting it. I may want to do something different with the headlights, but I would make it cruise way before I started changing the outside of it. Logo no logo round or square lights it could be a pretty slick old ride. I would crawl in an burn one with you anytime. ;)

Doctorterry and volvobrynk like this.
  19. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

:eek: porknstoner !!??

volvobrynk likes this.
  20. Old stoners, uh I mean old habits die hard. Ha, ha, ha, ha . . . :D :D

volvobrynk and Hnstray like this.
  21. pitman

pitman

Bogarts. ;)

22. Rusty O'Toole

Rusty O'Toole

Might be good for a few laughs if the price is right. Don't pay much over scrap price and you can't lose much. Get it home, check it out, make up your mind if it is worth fixing or not (to you) and go from there.

volvobrynk likes this.
  23. i think those lights don't look to bad on that thing, {call me crazy} but they are just a repeat of the rectangle shapes found on that truck. windows, profile, body feature lines etc... if i was to fix that up changing that part of it would be low on the priority list.

24. Vonn Ditch

Vonn Ditch
    from LA

You could make something really nice out of that with about 25K.
    Or, you could have 25K.

25. traffic61

traffic61
    from Owasso, OK

Aaah, rectangular quad headlights, the 90's Mercedes headlights of the 70's. Used to see a '63 Impala with rectangular headlights many years ago,. I hope someone bought it and got rid of those eyesores.

If you get it and it doesn't work out, you've always got a groovy portable shed.

Doctorterry likes this.
  26. Exactly correct. We as a community seem to forget that running and driving trumps style. make the mechanicals right then worry about what it looks like.

KCsledz and volvobrynk like this.
  27. KCsledz

KCsledz

Not wrong for wanting it. I have been watching it since it showed up by that guys shop. But, this one would take a serious amount of body work. I never snuck up to look underneath it but the body is rough. Huge dent in the roof.

28. That one as seen in the photos is actually in good shape for a Missouri econoline. I owned one in the '80s that you could literally see though from one side to the other.

Where you have to watch on those is the rear spring pockets. They rust out.

29. G V Gordon

G V Gordon
    from Enid OK

Yea, if it's not a complete rust bucket and the price isn't too high it is worth picking up. They are getting a lot harder to find nowdays. Oh, and as an old hippie I would like to say "groovy headlights man!"

volvobrynk likes this.
  30. Fabber McGee

Fabber McGee

I too agree with 33&1/3 that those lights fit pretty well with the squared off body lines on that van. If it's cheap, oops, I mean inexpensive (I'm the one that's cheap), get it even if it's rusted away. The front axle would be good for a gasser style project and the rear is likely a 9". The engine can be sold for something if it runs and the transmission. Or, maybe I'm the only guy here that feels like he needs a little inventory around the place. ha,ha