Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help water in #2 cylinder

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by ramrod2624, Sep 6, 2017.

1. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Ok I need a little guidance , I just pulled all the plugs on my 59 / 283 chevy after noticing white smoke/ steam coming out of passenger side exhuast. All plugs looked good except #2 cylinder. I went to do a compression test and water is spraying out of the plug. What's my next step? Could it be the intake manifold leaking or is it something more? Again what should I check next?
    Thanks in advance

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. squirrel

squirrel

could be the intake manifold, or the head is cracked, or head gasket leaking, or crack in the cylinder bore. Easiest to check is to pull the intake, and carefully inspect the gasket between the water passage and intake port. There's a bolt and some room between them, though...so it's not real likely that's the problem.

3. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Ok so if I pull the intake how do I tell that it's leaking? Or how would I be able to check the head gasket , or worse for a cracked head?
    This motor hasn't been opened since being rebuilt in early 80's , but is low mileage

4. squirrel

squirrel

You can pull the intake and carefully look at the gasket, but you will probably have to take the head off eventually. I've lucked out on a couple engines I thought was a head gasket bad, it turned out it was the intake gasket leaking between the water passage and intake port...but they were not chevy engines, they had the passages right next to each other.

Truck64 and chryslerfan55 like this.

5. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

You might look at rust on the intake port to indicate the gasket is leaking. But I think you should bite the bullet and plan on pulling the head.

tractorguy and Mark Roby like this.
  6. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

im sure you all are correct in pulling the head . guess that means ill need to have it checked for cracks, unless its obvious that its the head gasket.....

7. my guess would be a head gasket or intake gasket.....i don't think those heads are prone to cracking

but have everything checked out

8. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Take off the radiator cap. Start it and look for bubbles, or gyesering.
    Or just do what you know needs to be done and get in there.

big duece and Nailhead Jason like this.
  9. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

Pulled the intake this afternoon
    So now my question is looking at the ports on the cylinder I think is leaking it looks like both ports a very clean almost washed compared to the other ones. Is there a way of telling if the issue is deeper then the intake or will I need to pull the head as well?
    Sorry for all the question never had to troubleshoot a leak like this before.

10. lippy

lippy
    from Ks

Has it been bored? Lippy

11. ramrod2624

ramrod2624

It has a 30 over bore

12. RichFox

RichFox
    Member Emeritus

Remove the porcelain from n old spark plug. No don't bash it out. Cut the crimp and pushit out in one nice clean piece. Braze in an air fitting. Make sure those valves are closed. Give it 80 or so pounds ofair. listen and look to see where it's going. If its in the water you need to go deeper.