Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help wanted in determining Master cylinder bore size

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Vics stuff, Aug 16, 2019.

1. Hey Guys ! I have a steel 32 Ford 3 window coupe and needing some help in determining Master cylinder bore size on a manual brake system. I have Willwood front disc brakes , Lincoln Versi rear disc brakes. I do not know the pedal stroke nor pedal ratio. What size master cylinder is most guys using on their cars. My vehicle is not here where I can measure the caliper piston diameter or the pedal stroke so I am shooting from the hip on this one . Any help is appreciated.
    Vic

2. I'm building a car with similar components. I'm using a manual brake Corvette MC with a 1" bore. Can't tell you how it works 'cause I'm not that far along. Will be interested in others comments.

3. My car is a way out , but as I am building my car at the point of installing and setting up the brake system. Before paint.
    Vic

4. Doublepumper

Doublepumper
    from WA-OR, USA

I'm running a manual brake system and have GM metric discs on the front and a 8.8 rear with factory discs. I didn't know what to use either, so contacted a tech at Master Power Brakes to find out. Was told to use the Corvette style one inch master for my application. It seems to work well, although I haven't got it on the road yet.

5. JeffB2

JeffB2
    from Phoenix,AZ

Just had a member in our 1952-59 Ford Group do a Wildwood conversion they recommended a 7/8" master. Car is a '53 Ford. 1firewall (1).JPG

6. radarsonwheels

radarsonwheels
    from Philly

There is always fine tuning and sometimes buying a couple M/Cs or redrilling the rod hole closer or farther from the brake pedal pivot, depending on how much travel you need and how much pressure you can make with your setup.

In general though and in my limited experience you want to be 7/8”-1” for manual brakes and 1”-1.25” for power brakes. There is math to figure it out involving mc piston area vs caliper piston area but just make sure you don’t use drum residual pressure valves on discs.