Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP w/ Sm Blk Ford interchange??

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by k-member, Oct 21, 2006.

1. k-member

k-member

Need to know if stuff from a say 73 302 will bolt on to a let's say 93 or 94 5.0L Ford.
    Intake? Trans? What about exhaust manifolds?
    The reson being, my motor in my 51 Merc pick-up(70's Maverick engine) went south and I can get a 93 or 4 I don't know which yet, 5.0L. Never messed with the 5.0's, always the older stuff. Have played the Fun with Ford's interchange game alot, hell you have to, but after reading the engines that don't suck post, I am having doubts allready. I did help a friend put a carbed 5.0 roller motor and trans in a 62 Falcon once, but it was'nt too bad as we had the doner Mustang there. Let the horror stories begin.

2. Radshit

Radshit

I had gone through this myself.....changing to a carberator is no big thing with the right intake manifold. Exhaust minifolds are the same and SbF's bell housing patterns are no problem.

The 90's SbF's use a serpentine belt that is reverse rotated. The water pumps and timing chain cover are different. And, later model SbF's use electric fuel pumps so the late model timing cover won't have the mechanical fuel pump mount. The early 302 will have a dip stick in the front of the timing chain cover. The late model will have a hole on the block next to the top of the oil pan.

I was lucky and used the early '80's timing cover that didn't have a serpentine belt but lacked the fuel pump mount. I run a electric fuel pump for various reasons. I then drilled a hole in the cover....(the boss is there if you want to run the dip stick in the front and then plugged the hole in the block with a small freeze plug)...I had a problem with the harmonic balancer being incorrect, but that might be a 351W issue......but if you run into the same problem Ford Motorsport makes a "universal" balancer that has two differnt timing marks and the 3-hole and 4-hole mounting for the differnt crank pulley problems you will most likely run into.......Ford made a shitload of different pulley's for the SbF's...I found out.

3. 48fordnut

48fordnut
    Member Emeritus

the late model 5.0,302 has a 50 oz balance, to hook it to a c-4 there is a special flex plate you must use. the exhaust manifolds will bolt up. to change to a carb, all you need is a intake from a earlier 302. the ft cover is a bit different ,in that it dosen't have a dipstick hole,if you run a earlier 302 pan, also as has been pointed out no fuel pump hole. the ft cover is the same for std rotation w/p or rev. serp belt.If you have p/s and air you may choose to keep the serp belt.

4. Reggie

Reggie
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If it is a '94 mustang engine, then the engine length will be about 1-1.5 inches shorter to fit in that chassis. The change in length is in the timing forward so swapping timing covers, waterpump, pulleys, etc. will fix that.

5. Frank

Frank

Will an Edelbrock Performer 289 intake fit a 302?

I have an 86 5.0 out of an F150 that I am using so I'm just starting to learn the differences myself. There isn't a whole lot though. Mostly flywheels and harmonic balancer differences you have to pay attention to. A lot of things will bolt up, you just have to know what to expect like the reverse rotaion water pump on serpentine engines, lack of fuel pump mounting on later timing covers. Roller motors will have a distributor gear different than a non-roller motor.

6. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Yes

Overall - think of the late model as a long-block only - swap all your covers & ancilliarys (everything from timing chain out & pan rails down) from the early engine to the late engine. The only gotcha is the harmonic balancer & flexplate/flywheel. The late model balancer is 50oz, but will be drilled for 4-hole pulleys & spaced differently. You can buy or make a pulley adapter.

7. k-member

k-member

I have used the newer timming covers on early motors, I just drilled out the fuel pump block off and on the under side of the cover there is a spot for the dip stick, you can see where they pluged the hole for the new casting.
    Basically I was going to strip all the stuff of my early 302 and put on the newer motor. I was looking though the Summit catalog and it made me wonder because they list all these different years for the small Ford motors.
    I think this motor has a AOD trans, but my C-4 works real good and I used the old 3 on the tree linkage for colum shift and am thinking there would be alot of work to switch to the AOD. More info on the tranies flex plates would be cool.
    Thanks all.

8. chopndrop

chopndrop

Your early engine most likely uses 28 oz balancer and flexplate. The later engine uses 50 oz balancer and flexplate. Now, if your planing on keeping your C4, you need to count the teeth on the flexplate (either 157 or 164 I think, been awhile) and get the right balance and tooth count

9. k-member

k-member

If this unit has a trans, I should be able to use the flex plate and balancer that is on the new motor?

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

I've also dealt with this before - I believe you can use the same flex plate w/ your C4, but the balancer (as mentioned before) may need to be changed to the Ford Motorsport piece (under $100, from what I remember). The newer balancer may have a different # of pulley bolts as compared to the old - 4 vs. 3, and the spacing outward from the crank may be different, also.
    I purchased a '99 Ford Explorer 5.0 crate engine and installed the '70s 302 parts on it, including: timing cover w/ integral dipstick, fuel pump eccentric, fuel pump, oil pan, Edelbrock intake, Mallory unilite dist. - changed dist. gear to billet/hardened steel in order to work w/ the steel roller cam, and was able to use the Explorer (AOD) flywheel w/ the C4 trans and starter (which surprised the hell outta me).
    I did have to space the water pump pulley out some to line up w/ the other pulleys, but I was using an early '70s Bronco water pump that has the outlet on the passenger side - this alone may have changed the outward pulley spacing.

Hope this rambling helps you.

Malcolm

11. k-member

k-member

Thank Malcom, it does.