Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help W/ Junkyard SBC

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Topless Ford, Apr 10, 2010.

1. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I was banging around an old junkyard today, seriously getting in the sticks with the spiders and snakes. I seriously need a couple of ram horns for a sbc and I spy an orange motor back in the brush. I managed to tip it up from its sandy bed and it confused me a bit.
    I have been searching the hamb and google for info on the motor. It had a block number of 3794226, (283?) a manifold oil fill, it looked like there was a "thing" for a road tube or something near the back of intake (4bbl chevy) on the block. The oil filter was a canister type and I didn't look at the valve cover bolts. The heads had something like this on the front for a shape, _____/\______. It was one triangle on a square and I don't remember acc bolt holes being there.

Is this a piece worth going back for? How gone is gone when it comes to weather and cast iron heads? I am going back tomorrow to look at a set of heads for an OT car and may be able to get photos then if the hamb deems it worthy of the walk.

Any info would be great and have a great weekend guys.

Al :D

2. BOBCRMAN

BOBCRMAN
    from Holly

283 58-63. Only worth something if you have to have it for a restoration. Or are building a car and have nothing else. Costs way more to rebuild than a common 350 chevy and the heads have to be converted to unlead gas. Any water in the intake or cylinders or wont crank over with pry bar== PASS!

3. 41woodie

41woodie

That little triangle widget cast on the front of the head denotes a Power-Pack engine. Would have been stock with a four barrel and, I think, a bit more compression. Back in the days of yore any guy worth his salt knew the meaning behind every one of the casting marks on chevy heads. Two-barrel, Power-Pack, Fuel injection and dual-quads all had their own casting I.D.

4. Unless your are like the scores of us on the HAMB that are into early small journal stuff. VERY COOL stuff. Even if it turns out to be junk you can save stuff like the pan and oil cannister.

5. Special Ed

Special Ed

6. budrow

budrow

I see some SBC deception potential there.

7. Thanks for the chart! I had one nd lost it. Got a set of fuelie heads under the bench!

8. Look at Sams Roach Rod when it was in the ego rama ;)

9. 52 csb

52 csb

That is a good eng, even if its only PARTS and PIECES...forged crank, closed chamber heads....large sump....... GOOD LUCK 52 csb:D

10. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

I really don't see myself needing anything that this engine has. i will take pics and help narrow it down. If if will help another hamber i will get the items for what I will end up paying and my time, perhaps a trade for what I need. The yard owner is 67 and the son is trying to talk him into scrapping out everything. The stuff will never be made again and I hate to see it turn into a daewoo so if it is good i'll get it for someone and hope the favor will be returned at some point. I'll update with pics on sunday hopefully.
    I know this is elementary to some but the replies are a great tool!!

Thanks Al

11. to me it's worth getting and rebuilding

12. I'm with 36-3WINDOW on this one. That's a complete little jewel. In the days when that engine was on the road, it was pretty hot. 283 Power Packs were the engine to beat. Just for grins, what part of the State is it located in? I'm going to be heading North in about 10 days or so...:D

13. Topless Ford

Topless Ford

Panhandle, near Fl/Bama line.

14. Truckedup

Truckedup

I got a set of decent PowerPac heads,the early 60's type used on 283's and 250 HP 327's. No one wants this stuff.......I'm gonna scap the heads unless offered the price of scrap for them.

15. Wow, those are neat little motors. I would get it I mean they don't make 'em anymore. They may be the next 350!