Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help..urethane clear over enamel?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Jul 23, 2010.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

My friend wants me to paint his car using a single stage enamel with a hardener and then urethane clear. I don't know why he just didn't get basecoat/clear..but anyhow it's to late...he has the paint and wants me to do it.

After spraying the enamel..when is it safe to spray the clear. Do I have to wait a day until it really hardens up ..or can I start spraying the clear after my last coat of enamel drys.

Thanks...

Last edited: Jul 23, 2010
  2. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

What clear ....Is it select clear....

3. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Yes I can!

If they aren't meant to be compatible, which chances are they arent, I would wait til the enamel kicks completely before clearing it.

Do you have the stuff? What is it??

I would paint it, let it sit a week, scuff it w/ 600 and clear it. Or if youre feeling dangerous, spray a test panel and try it wet on wet, but that could lead to nightmares.

4. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It's UTECH 200 enamel and their 4.0 clear

[​IMG]

5. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

I'm having trouble finding tech sheets for a SS enamel? Lemme scour a bit more.

6. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Ok Im out ,Have no idea.You might have to talk to a paint rep.I know the paint and clear were bought .If there is a problem later .You may lose a friend.Explain this to him.And if the thing lifts ,You will be in trouble.If there compatible your ok......

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

8. mopargnome

mopargnome

I never understood doing clear over single stage. Just spray out the single stage and tell him you cleared it.:cool:

9. oompa

oompa
    from london ky

I use to restore cars for a old man and he demanded I paint them that way. the funny thing is that is the same stuff I used. let the enamel dry a day sand with 800 and clear. the black look deeper than base clear dont know why but it does.

10. oompa

oompa
    from london ky

sorry for the spelling

11. Francisco Plumbero

Francisco Plumbero
    from il.

This company should have a web site full of tech info on it, I think its almost a niosh requirement at this point, why dont you go through and see if its compatible, if you cant find anything that says you can use this over the other one tell him tough nuts, go buy the right shit, its gonna be a night mare to strip and redo this thing, for what, if he persists, let him shoot it on there himself, that way you can laugh at it when it crazes. I feel for you, you can't win for losing.

12. SlowandLow63

SlowandLow63
    from Central NJ

Wait. Utech 200 is Acrylic Urethane...

Ok, they use different hardeners which sucks. Looks like they recommend using their MS clear for clearcoating SS jobs.

I would do like I said earlier and wait a week, or try it on a test panel. If the hardeners were the same, it would be no problem.

13. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

The site has tech support phone number ,Give them a call.,It might work ,But I would check first...

14. "Wait. Utech 200 is Acrylic Urethane...

Ok, they use different hardeners which sucks. Looks like they recommend using their MS clear for clearcoating SS jobs.

I would do like I said earlier and wait a week, or try it on a test panel. If the hardeners were the same, it would be no problem."

This idea is deff. the safest.
    you dont want any of those catalysts mixing wet on wet if their
    not compatable.

Good luck man and like mentioned earlier tell your bud all the warning info

15. rcr81

rcr81

I've done this before with enamel and laquer it works fine, with enamel you would want to put the clear on before 24hrs and after 12hrs or you will need to sand which would be ok unless it's a metalic finish that would be require a re-coat with color and then clear within the time window. That stuff is made by AkzoNobel coatings which is a supplier here for us but the tech guys here had no clue, they only know bc/cc finishes. I haven't done this in years cuz bc/cc is much more common now, and dont worry about the different cats it's all the same just different drying rates/thinner package in the cat...dont worry about lifting they are both enamels so thats not likely but if the color is a solid becareful not to put the color on too heavy, it may solvent pop, you dont need to put it on heavy and shiney anyway cuz your going to clearcoat it.