Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help, Trans removel from 56 buick

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 1fastbyrd, Aug 26, 2007.

1. 1fastbyrd

1fastbyrd

How to remove hydomatic from buick naihead 322. the engine is stuck, won't turn to remove nuts from flex plate. Motor and trans is out of car and in back of my truck.

Thanks in advance Jeff

2. squirrel

squirrel

should be a dynaflow, not a hydramatic.....whatever, here is what you're dealing with, good luck! maybe take the engine apart first?

Attached Files:

3. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Pull the lower cover off and spin transmission around to get to the bolts.

4. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

The engine is stuck...I had this happen once too with a '56 322.
    He can't get all the bolts off the torque converter because the engine's crank won't turn over. The torque converter is not only bolted to the flexplate, it's also bolted to the input of the transmission--so he can't just slide the input shaft out of the trans like on a conventional set-up.

Put the whole thing on your garage floor tits-up and pull the crank. That's the ONLY way to do it. Took me 6 innings of a Braves game on the radio, from start to finish, and that included figuring out the problem and coming up with the solution.

Oh, another way to do it would be to take a large sledge hammer to the bellhousing to gain access to those other torque converter bolts, but that's probably not the direction you want to go either.

-Brad
    Hey Squirrel--is there ANYTHING you don't have a factory shop manual for?

5. squirrel

squirrel

yeah, I don't have a factory shop manual for a 50s buick, that's from Chiltons :)