Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Too much fuel pressure.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hot rod wille, Oct 12, 2006.

1. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

I need help from the fuel gurus! My SBC has a Rochester-carbed tri-power on it.I've tried 3 different mechanical fuel pumps and all are running at 8-12 psi.Way too much,as I understand---shouldn't it be like 3 1/2--5 psi?I want to use stock-type pumps--done like the Carter or Holley pumps---look wrong. Somebody spill the beans--maybe part numbers???

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

what car applications were the pumps you tried listed for? wild guess says an early 60s 2bbl 283 pump should be fine, if the carbs are properly adjusted and have good floats and float valves in them.

3. bullicious

bullicious
    from NW

You could go a couple of different avenues. You can get better inlet valves that can handle the psi from Hot Rod Carburetors and or plumb a fuel pressure regulator inline.

2Gs like pressure around 4 to 6 psi I think.

4. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

5. bullicious

bullicious
    from NW

6. squirrel

squirrel

do those 70s-80s pumps have only two fuel connections, or do they have 3?

7. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

Are the carbs flooding or are you just scared about the readings that you get? The only problem I've ever had with Rochesters was caused by dirt and not the fault of the carb or the pump.

That being said, I'd order a pump for 1967 Chevelle with the 283 automatic and eliminate the gauge.:D It came from the factory with a Rochester 2bbl.

8. CruZer

CruZer

I had the same problem but with an electric pump and the 3 Rochesters. I put in a regulator and gauge;turned it down to 3psi.No more problems and it never starved for fuel.

9. i can't vouch for some of the earlier chevy pumps but your garden variety late model chev pump will overwhelm most vintage or performance carbs. I ran into the same problem on my T with holley. I tried several pumps and they all put out over 8psi.

I believe this pressure problem is made even worse by the fact that most of us run our tanks high in the car with bottom outlets. This gives the pumps even less restriction to contend with and I'd bet it adds a few psi as well.

My best advice is to run a regulator. I gave up on the mechanical pump and switched to the low psi carter with a holley regulator, works great. The holley regulators are tiny and can easily be hidden. If you paint em engine color they will easily blend in with your motor and you won't even see it.

10. hot rod wille

hot rod wille

My best advice is to run a regulator. I gave up on the mechanical pump and switched to the low psi carter with a holley regulator, works great. The holley regulators are tiny and can easily be hidden. If you paint em engine color they will easily blend in with your motor and you won't even see it.

Well----I went ahead and and replumbed the line up from the pump and installed a regulator inline with my pressure gauge---it really looks ok after playing with it awhile---set it at 3 1/2 psi---lit off better---ran it till hot and seems like it's gonna be ok---better thottle too---thanks,guys!