Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Throw Out Bearing.....

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by DYNODANNY, Oct 12, 2007.

1. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Well heres the cenerio.. Im currently putting my trans and motor together. I think I have to much clearence between my T.O. bearing and my pressure plate, I have about 1 1/2 in. clearence. It seems like much or is this ok? The motor is a dodge red ram 241 w/ a Wil Cap adapt kit to a 4 speed muncie. the clutch is all chevy 10.5 in. from a/c delco. Any help please....

2. RichFox

RichFox
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

As I remember Chevy made a short and a long throwout bearing. Which one are you using?

3. Is that 1/2" with the clutch release fork just flopping around on the pivot ball or is everything assembled in the vehicle?

4. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Thats with the fork on the pivot, lose. I think I have the short style bearing.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Does anybody know about the two styles of throwout bearings for a four speed muncie?

6. When you push the t/o bearing forward is the t/o arm out of travel room to disengage the clutch? If that's the case you do need a thicker t/o bearing. If there is still travel room then maybe it'll just be a linkage issue.

Charlie

7. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

yup I'm out of range? do you know what bearing I need? thanks

8. Brad54

Brad54
    from Atl Ga

Yeah, sounds like you need the longer style throw out bearing. I know I have this kind in my '57 Chevy, and my '62 Chevy C10 as well. Strictly going by "well, it should be..." the longer bearing should be the same as at least up to '66 trucks.
    OR, find yourself a good mom&pop parts store and just ask the guy behind the counter for a long throw out bearing for a Chevy.
    I didn't know which I needed, so my parts guy hooked me up with both and told me to bring back the one I didn't need.

-Brad

9. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Hey brad54 thanks for the info.

10. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

I checked with my supplier and they don't know what I'm talking about. Does any one have any info for me? really need this resolved soon. any help please.

11. kenagain

kenagain
    from so cal

you need the housing that bearing goes on there are two styles short and long style == parts house should have 2 different numbers for them just ask for something older n look at it you will see the difference quick
    Ken

12. I took a look in the NAPA online catalog for the mid-60's clutch release bearings and find that 1/2 ton trucks have a different p/n than passenger cars. Can't tell from the info given what the dimensional differences are. If memory serves there are also a number of diferent length pivot ball assemblies available. A longer on might serve the need.

Charlie

13. DYNODANNY

DYNODANNY

Just got the bearing from my local parts store and its from a 60's 1/2 ton its about 1/2 in. orso longer. its from Federal Mogul part#614037. Thanks for all the help.

14. The power of the HAMB.