Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help, TCI leaf spring kit, bracket alignment.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Gleid, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

I'm about to install the tci leaf spring kit on my 54 bel air 4d. Everything has been smooth sailing up to the point to where I'm supposed to install the forward spring brackets.

The instructions are rather vague, they say to line up 3 of 4 holes and drill the last, and that the spring lugs should face backwards. They also state that there is one left, and one right bracket. The illustrations doesn't help since the depict a different bracket design than the real life product. Also the brackets aren't marked.

My problem is that the brackets fits both ways, and both sides... I wrote the tci tech people and they sent me an illustration of the brackets, but if I where to install the brackets according to those, I would have to drill 3 holes.

So! Anyone here who can confirm with way the lugs should "point"? That way I can at least eliminate some options.

Picture is taken on the drivers side, looking inwards. The front is to the left.

Thanks!
    [​IMG]

Sent from my Nexus 6P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

3. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

4. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

Second photo appears to be biased towards the rear, are the spring locating tabs centred or offset to a particular side. Presumably centres will correspond with centre of rear frame brackets and shackles? 3 x holes should line up as per instructions leaving 1 x hole to drill in frame. This is TCI kit
    upload_2017-2-27_23-17-29.png
    These are Chassis engineering instructions
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Slow down likes this.

5. unkledaddy

unkledaddy

TCI instructions say;
    "When the brackets are placed correctly, the tabs to hold the spring should be to the rear of the vehicle." (See Figure 1)

http://www.classicperform.com/Instructions/PDF/TCI/49-54_chevy_car_rear_leaf_spring_kit.pdf

If you have the correct brackets for your kit I would say your picture #2 would be the correct way to mount them. But the TCI picture #1 appears to have the mounting tab offset toward the rear on the mounting plate, which yours doesn't.

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  6. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

The brackets are not offset to a particular side no, and i agree to everything beeing posted here. That's why I'm confused. The instructions does not correlate to real life.

I'm also leaning towards the second picture. But then the new hole needs to be drilled right next to the old one that goes through both frame and body bracket. Leaving the body bracket only fastened with one fastener... but that's maybe no big deal?

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

7. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

And just to add to the confusion. Here is how the tech people at tci told me to fit them. A third option! This way I need to drill 3 holes...

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 27, 2017
  8. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Glied, from your pix it would seem that the bolt hole for the front spring hangars are not exactly centered on the base plates. Right? If so, then flipping them would cause the distance between the front spring bolt hole and the rear shackle bolt hole to change. On the sketch you posted it looks like the distance between the front and rear bolt holes should be 42-1/4" - so you might try measuring those distances with the front bracket in both orientations and see which way comes closest to 42-1/4" distance. Gary

Gleid likes this.
  9. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

Gnichols, yeah, that's what I will end up doing.

The reason for me posting this was that maybe someone that had done the same install could confirm the correct orientation. I hate to drill more holes in the frame than needed.

10. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

I went out and measures now, the 42" is distance between left and right side. Not front and rear. Front and rear will be something like 47" or so.

Ah well, guess I'll just have to mount it and check how the wheel sits in the wheel well.

11. Gleid

Gleid
    from Norway

If someone wonders, picture number two seems to be the correct alignment. Which contradicts both the instructions and the illustrations from tech support.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app