Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP: Subrails?? -1930 Roadster "La Rona"

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Retson the Racer, Jan 4, 2021.

1. So recently I got the deal of a lifetime. A '30 roadster for a pack of beer.
    The Sub-Rails are absolutely crunchy, as well as barely there.
    IMG_2558.jpeg IMG_2584.jpeg IMG_2588.jpeg IMG_2589.jpeg
    I'm looking into installing something soon, and a good friend of mine told me how to build a subframe out of 1x1 .180 and 1x2 .180 tubing.

I've got a rolling chassis, but am missing the rear subframe. Couldn't I technically bolt in the rear sub frame to the back of the body, slip the two rails into the back of that, attach those rails to the stock body mounts on the frame, then continue building the rest of the subrail?

Also, can anyone give me some measurements of their 30/31 roadster?

A_132_BF.jpg A_165_AB.jpg

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  2. I would just make some but I am not a restorer. All they got to do is hole the body up. Not rocket science

3. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

The subfloor under the cowl are called subfloor extensions and toe boards...
    i have some but shipping is a deal killer...
    . DSCN3971.JPG DSCN3963.JPG

from the wheel well back the subrails are just steel channels...pix
    note the 4" 90* angle bent steel at the B pillar...
    i cleko it to the subrail... then i can tack the B pillar to it,
    finally slide it back and forth to fine tune...
    DSCN5917.JPG DSCN5916.JPG
    pix of some rusty subrails from under a coupe or roadster... DSCN4529.JPG DSCN4527.JPG DSCN4528.JPG

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021

4. The problem is, my body doesn't have any support, so it's leaning over. I'm not too sure if I should just copy the bend of the frame, or what.

5. Thank you! Still up in the air if I should make my own sub rails or buy a kit. I have a pair of rear half rails, but im not sure what car they are for, I got them for free.

6. The sub rails follow the body. Tack the body together and take some 1x2 tubing and follow the contour of the body with it. (lay it flat with the 1" being vertical). When you have to bend it make cuts across the 2" but not all the way through and tack it back together. Its not difficult.

7. I have these rear half sub rails, I was thinking of getting these and the rear portion that mounts to the rear most body bolt, then from the front on using 1x2.. Is that too funky?

I can also just sell these and use the money towards the metal.

Attached Files: