Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP! Shoebox chop info needed..

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Luke__805, Apr 2, 2008.

1. Luke__805

Luke__805

Thanks for the input guys. I appreciate it. I am really looking forward to having the top fixed. I'm gonna do what you mentioned and just let the guy fixing it cut out/redo whatever parts need it, I guess that's the beauty of metal work. I think the car will be going in to be fixed in the next few weeks

2. Luke__805

Luke__805

I want thank a member of the HAMB for stepping up to take on the task of fixing my shoebox.

Norm (Chopped50Ford)does killer work. He completely redid the entire chop on my shoebox . If he can fix the garbage that the "shop" did to the roof of my shoebox before it arrived at his shop he can fix anything. Great guy, very knowledgeable and great attention to detail.I will be taking any old car I own to him from here on out, and highly recommend anyone in the Southern California area looking for a skilled , honest shop to deal with go to his shop Vintage Metal.

He completely cut from the middle of the roof to the trunklid off, and hand fabricated a whole new roof out of sheetmetal.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

In the last few pictures above you can see that:Rear window was flipped , taillights were frenched along with body seam that runs through them was removed then smoothed out w/ a slight peak.Here is a shot of below the rear window before handhand to give you an idea of how poorly it was done previously before being fixed
    [​IMG]
    All of the window openings / pillars on this car were not smooth at all, not rounded correctly. Along with both pie cuts above the windshield had about a one inch valley that was 5 inches long before norm cut it out and fixed it.He redid all the window openings along with rounding the doortops and redoing all the pillars. All pillars were NOT smooth and bowed out from the previous shop doing them wrong.The doors would barely shut after it was chopped wrong.Now the gaps are how they should be and the doors close with no effort. Norm got them all dialed in
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He also frenched the headlights
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    He will be doing more work on my car, so I will report back with more details/pics as it is completed

3. glassguy

glassguy

really nice looking work! glad its working out, will be a great sled real soon...

4. shoebox50

shoebox50

5. Ian Berky

Ian Berky

Looks killer man!!! Congrats!!! Now you're stoked!!

Norm, great job man!!

6. draginsteel

draginsteel

For what its worth here's my chop. On the advice of the restorer I got the car from and Bo Huff they said don't go much more than 3". I went 3 1/2 on the A pillar and 5 on the C. I have limited experience in body work and limited experience in welding sheet metal.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Good Luck!

7. Luke__805

Luke__805

Thanks so much for the compliments on the car. I actually have a whole new appreciation for the car,and a lot more motivation to finish the car. Norm is a great guy and very talented.I feel very lucky to have had him contact me on here to fix my shoebox.

Draginsteel- very nice job on your shoebox. Haha, I love the shot of your dog sitting in the car.I give you props for tackling the chop. Shoebox chops definitely aren't an easy task

8. Luke__805

Luke__805

Thanks so much for the compliments guys. Norm definitely is a talented guy and takes a lot of pride in his work. I have a new found appreciation for my car and a lot more motivation to finish building it

Draginsteel- your chop turned out great, I give you props for tackling the task.Shoebox chops are definitely not easy especially that back section. Love the pic with your dog in the car!

9. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

wow, what didn't look that bad in first pics turned into a big project. something learned here for most of us. most of all, don't fold until all options are followed thru on. yep, keep us posted with future update pics.