Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP. Sbc rebuild starter won't spin motor

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Trace jarvis, Aug 14, 2018.

1. Trace jarvis

Trace jarvis

I rebuilt a 75 sbc 350. When assembled spun well. When plugs are out spins with starter but a bit slow with plugs in won't spin enough to start. Very slow what do i do

2. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

Any oil in the bores? What’s the voltage at the battery? Voltage at the starter?

3. Terrible80

Terrible80
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

4. Oilguy

Oilguy

I had that issue recently with a rebuilt starter from a large chain store. Problem was an internal ground wire improperly soldered. I took it to an auto electric shop to check it out and the wire fell off in the mechanics hands.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Ebbsspeed

Ebbsspeed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

How large and long are the battery and ground cables you are using, and where are they connected.

6. 302GMC

302GMC
    from Idaho

How does it feel (plugs out) when you turn it by hand ?

7. BigDogSS

BigDogSS
    from SoCal

Get a late model permanent-magnet (aka: "mini-starter). Brand new, ACDelco from RockAuto for about $100.
    --Straight bolts --> 1996 Caprice w/LT1
    --Staggered bolts --> 1998 C1500 w/Vortec 5.7
    We've done this conversion about 6-7 times with no issues.

8. Starting a fresh mill or one that hasn't ran in years is often a chore for the starter system. Even componets in tip top condition are often taxed to their limits. I always hook up my large battery charge on boost to help. Sometimes I remove all the wires from the starter and hook up two batterys 24 volt just to the starter to getthe engine fired off the very first time. Usually after the 20 minutes at 3000 RPM break in the engine will be easy to turn over and start.

9. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

No what some self style experts say those skinny little battery cables that are sold for 12 Volt can't carry the amps that you need when the engine takes some extra effort to crank it over. Found that out on my ot truck.