Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP!!!! SBC piston rings.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by magsnubby, Sep 25, 2010.

1. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

While i was busy laying the crank in my 327 my grandson grabbed the box of rings, opened up the box and dumped them all into a big pile. So i need to know which goes into the top groove and which is the second groove. The one with the round indentation or the plain one?

2. squirrel

squirrel

Look to see if they have a chamfer on the inside edge, usually the chamfer is up (dot side) on the top ring, and down (opposite dot) on the second ring.

If they're moly rings, then the top ring will have the moly filling in the outer surface, you should be able to see it.

If there is no dot on one ring, it would be the second ring.

3. magsnubby

magsnubby
    from Fresno,Ca

They're molly rings. Okay, so the top ring has the dot. Guess i need to give my "helper" something to do to keep him busy.

Thanks squirrel.

4. If it is a plasma-moly set, than the top ring will have the 'shiny edge' on it and the second ring will just look the same on all sides.

I've always seen the 'dot', mark or 'top' going up on the first or second ring. If there is a bevel on the ID of the second ring, this usually goes down. You can have a dot and a bevel - dot always goes up, ID bevel could be up or down - depending on which ring, type of ring and who made it.

I've never seen the dot go down on any ring.

If you know the brand of rings and the part numbers - that might help.

Dale

Last edited: Sep 25, 2010
    Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. farcus1

farcus1

Beware of this, if you put the rings in the wrong groove, you will probably burn every piston in the motor. Does the box not have installation instructions either on the box somewhere or on a sheet in the box? I don't think I would use rings without an instruction sheet.

6. miller

miller
    from New Jersey

...If you can not find the instruction sheet and you have the box look for the company name etc.... maybe you will see a web site,a phone # for them....on the site you may get the answers.....

7. go to the place were you bought the rings and look at another box of the same part number. i think you will find that Squirrel is right

8. Triggerman

Triggerman
    from NorCal

Man I am in agreement with a few of these fellas. Piston ring placement is too important to guess at. You should contact the manufacturer and get the straight skinny.

9. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

What squirrel said; The ring with the shiny edge with the dot is the top ring, dot goes up. The ring with no marks/no chamfer is the second ring.