Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP removing stubborn heads???

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by oldskool55, Feb 19, 2006.

1. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i gotta change the head gasket on my buick problem is i cant get the head off. ive tried just about everything i can think of. so i was wondering if you guys had any tips or tricks or ideas? thanks in advance.

p.s. every bolt is removed from the head.... im possitive:D

2. DrJ

DrJ

Compressed air in a spark plug hole.

Only use as much pressure as you need though, or you could catapult the head in your face.

3. flamedolds

flamedolds

Put a head bolt or 2 in a few threads to hold 'er from flyin up to high.

4. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

what kind of fittng would i use? i cant imagine this head flying but i guess compressed air can do alot... thanks guy

ps. its a 455

5. DrJ

DrJ

If you use 80 psi, and there's about 12-13 sq inches of surface area, thats about half a ton of pressure.
    Do it on a cylinder with the piston already at BDC or it will get there anyway.
    The suggested safety bolts is a good idea...
    I have an air nozzle with a rubber air tip, that's big enough for peanut plugs if the hole is bigger break the ceramic out of a spark plug and screw it in.
    Or use the adapter that's used to pressurize cylinders when doing head-on valve seals

6. flamedolds

flamedolds

DO you have a compression test kit? If so find the right adapter for your plug hole and remove the schrader valve from the end of the hose. Use the regulator on your compressor to bring the pressure up slow or if its too hard to reach I use a pair of needle nose visegrips as a "regulator" when needed. Just put em on fairly tight and use the adjuster to allow more pressure through.
    What else have you tried to get 'em off so far?

7. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

ive tried tapping it with a hammer. yanking on it till my back hurt. stacking blocks in the valley area and prying on the bottom of the head with a 3ft pipe.... among other things... oh yeah i tried cussing and yelling too:D

8. Polara

Polara
    from Indy

The engine is a big air compressor, could you put a sparkplug or two in and a few safety bolts to keep from loosing it and either turn it over with a wrench or the starter? Just a thought. And if this is a dumb idea, please let me know why so I don't do it again.

9. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

tried it except all the plugs were still in so that might make a difference?

10. Not to be an A but,I don't remember for sure,but aren't the rocker shafts held down by head bolts on buicks? If you have these off already,never mind.
    I've done stuff like that,so I thought I'd throw it out there.

Doc

11. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

i dont think they were but theyre off any way

12. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

13. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

Screw "positive". I smell another bolt or two hiding in there...
    On an engine that turns (this is not an immobile lump of rust straight from the scrap pile, right??) they just should not be that tight with all the bolts out.
    Someone here knows exactly how many fasteners there are in a Buick and where they live. Account for every damn one of a known number before you apply any more prying pressure!
    Chevy people, for instance, are often done in by crud-coverd bolts behind the exhaust manifolds or two bolts under the valve cover that live in sludge-filled pits--I think you are up against something like that, and if you're not careful your next post is gonna be a want ad...

14. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

it ran and drove 24 hours before i took it apart. im possitive all the bolts are out i quadruple checked i even read the manual. everythings been fighing me it took mr 20 minuts to break the intake loose. i broke 3 craftsman sockets and a craftsman rachet getting the head bolts out... believe you me it was a fun day

15. Prop Strike

Prop Strike

buick 455 has 10 bolts per head. Good luck.

16. enjenjo

enjenjo
    from swanton oh

I had a buddy that was "sure" he had all the head bolts out. He got pissed, and started on the head with a sledge hammer. About half way through, he found two more head bolts, but by that time he had ruined the block too.

17. oldskool55

oldskool55
    from socal

today i went over and just pulled it off:confused:

18. Polara

Polara
    from Indy

Are you sure you weren't pushing before? I do that all the time to doors that aren't clearly labeled.

Glad you finally got it off.

19. repoman

repoman

LOL