Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help really lost on 390 timing

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rafael, Jan 24, 2008.

1. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

hey guys, HELP!
    ok the P.O in his infinate wisdom wanted to insatall a bigger cam in the brand new 390.
    all i know is that its a 270 cam, on a 390 with pertronix ign. and no vac advance in the dizz. i know timing it at idle is worthless, because the dizzy has no advance vacumm lines, i searched and what i came up with is no more than 37-39 total advance at 3k. and let the static fall where it may. at 3k the most i get is about 14 and POP out the carb.
    now, the other thing is that it doesnt matter where the timing is at, it diesels when i shut the engine off. if i try to advance it too much it pings and diesels. retard it and it diesels at any degree. im just ready to give it up.
    Help fellas-
    i have a crank pulley with degree marks some say XX then X then 0.5 then TDC then hash marks with 10 20 30 on it.
    i hate to do it but i dont want to drop large bucks on a new dizzz...
    like i said HELP.
    Raf

2. femadman

femadman

Sounds to me you're off one tooth on the distributor.Put #1 at TDC,and reset.Thinking initial timing be 10 to 12 degrees,full around 36/38,one thing a Ford FE(unless it's an AMC 390) likes is timing.The numbers are degree marks,at idle say it's on 10,as you rev the engine you'll see the marks move up indicating how much the distributor is advancing.Also as you twist the distributor you'll see the marks move.
    My 390 67 Fairlane on the street I'd run 36,but at the track ran as much as 40 total,made a differance in performance.The 427 we race we've gone as high as 44,and we've found out taking timing out removes HP,adding increases HP.Generally start at 40,then adjust for track conditions.

3. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

ill try that tomorrow, right now if you told me to wipe its ass with toilet paper id try it to get it to run right!