Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help! Questions on Reinstalling Trunk Hinge Assembly in a '59 Edsel

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Spooky, Mar 25, 2020.

1. Spooky

Spooky

Firstly-
    I hope everyone of you crazy muthas out there are safe.

So- I am elbows deep in my latest project and when it arrived the trunk was strapped down to the car and the hinge/torsion bar assembly had been removed and was sitting in the car.

Looked simple enough, so i purchased what I thought would be the correct hardware, attached one side then when trying to attach the driver's side, well, regardless of pulling and wrestling with it, the assembly is about 1/2" away from seating properly.

Am I missing a step? Do I need longer bolts to seat it in place?

Thanks folks-
    Da Spookman

2. squirrel

squirrel

Pictures?

Can you remove the bars from the hinge assy, and install the hinge, then the bars?

3. Spooky

Spooky

Afternoon Squirrel-
    Well, according to the manual it takes a special tool to remove the torsion rods. I was hoping there was a way to install it as a complete unit.

4. manyolcars

manyolcars

You may have to make the special tool

5. Do you have a manual? The '59 Ford is the same and I'll look later on to see if it has anything useful.

Spooky likes this.
  6. Here's some photo's, hope they help. I learned sometime back in the 70's the rods had to cross correctly or you wouldn't get there.
    20200325_113304.jpg 20200325_113321.jpg 20200325_113334.jpg Pay close attention to the crossover of the Rods.

Attached Files: