Register now to get rid of these ads!

help plz, with or without spats/skirts ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by motleycrue, Mar 5, 2014.

1. motleycrue

motleycrue

can you help me decide? i cant make my mind up,:confused:

Attached Files:

• 003.jpg
      003.jpg
      File size:
      385.3 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      442.4 KB
      Views:
  2. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Without, and I would get some steelies and caps on that thing, or get rid of the whitewalls...

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

3. WITH....and keep the whites

4. looks good with skirts , I know everyones tastes differ ,but I would like to see lower at the back , no pipes , sombrero or other cap at front , cool cruiser

5. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

Nice car. If you go with the skirts, the back needs to be level or lower than the front. The one picture looks like there is a slight rake.

Neal

6. 51custom

51custom

7. Curious, why are the wide whites and "mags" not good looking? Is it not period correct? I kind of like them but may be missing something.

8. No skirts.

9. Keep the skirts and lower the ass a bit. Change the wheels, ditch the pipes.

OR, if you really like those wheels, hot rod stance etc., no skirts.

10. papajohn

papajohn

Keep the skirts, drop the rear a bit.

Posted using a number two pencil on a paper napkin.

11. slowmotion

slowmotion

Great looking car. With all respect, there's some contradictions going on there. Lowering the back w/skirts would be more it the direction of it's custom theme. Losing the mags, adding full caps of the era, keep the whites, even better. JMO, just needs a few tweaks to be a knockout, sweet ride.

12. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

I agree with slowmotion,may I add its a little busy down low with the gravel guards, pipes, and two- tone.
    I would consider losing the front gravel guards just my opinion to add to your cool ride.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App

13. As for period correct when wide whites were popular those wheels were not available. Even if it was running Astros pinners would have been the tire of choice and not wide whites.

From an asthetic standpoint the wheels just don't go with the rest of the car. Asfor personal choice the wheels are actually a personal choice and if the owner likes them then the wheels have every right to stay, while he may not get our personal approval they are his wheels after all and everyone should do what they want when they want and let the chips fall where they may.

Now here is the deal with the skirts, they are removable, run 'em when you want and remove 'em when you want, its not like a color choice or an interior.

14. 19Fordy

19Fordy

There's a lot of design conflict going on in that the car. It incorporates dress up items of the 40's and 50's and 60's. It's not a "Period Car." It's a Multi -Period Car". Deciding what "period" you want the car to be, will determine whether or not you "keep" or "don't keep" the skirts. I personally would start by eliminating the "add -ons" like the Caddy front parking lights, the windshield visor and the front fender stone guards. The side pipes could stay depending on the "Period" you want..

15. young'n'poor

young'n'poor
    from Anoka. MN

Let me explain my earlier opinion. The car has lakes pipes and gravel guards and that trim low on the drivers door with the white paint so I feel skirts are unnecessary. Not all customs need skirts. Plus the car has a forward rake. I don't like those wheels but if the owner likes them a lot they would look much better and less busy with Blackwall tires. If he wants whitewalls it needs steelies and caps of some kind to look right. With the exception of some show rods in the early 60's, wide whites and mags don't look particularly great on anything. That's just my opinion so I'm not throwing stones at anyone who likes that look.

16. Lots of colors and do-dads going on there. Pick a single look, my preference is:

No visors
    No lake-pipes
    Blackwalls or redlines in big-n-littles sizes
    Keep the 5-spokes
    Slight suspension lift but keep it level.

Steve

17. my47buicksuper

my47buicksuper
    from sunny fl.

I'd keep the skirts and the white walls , loose the wheels and the front stone gards
    But that's just me ether way its a cool ride

18. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

The rims are crying out 70's and the wide whites are suggesting 50's. If you are not following a time line they are fine.

When I look at the car, I see a lot of 50's do-dads and 70's rims.

As I said before, it is a nice car just the way it sits.

Neal

19. Gerry Moe

Gerry Moe

I concur with one addition, loose the the rock guards and headlight visors. This is a low buck approach which allows the owner to use wheels and get use of tires he has invested in

20. Squablow

Squablow

I could go either way. With skirts, lower in back, and some caps (54 Chevy would be a good choice) would look real nice, if you want to go for a decked out east coast mild custom look.

Or, I could see it without skirts, with blackwalls or redline tires, and without some of the accessory stuff on it, as more of an early 60's hot rod look.

Both good choices, but both will require more than just the addition or subtraction of the skirts.

21. bubblesbacon

bubblesbacon
    from wisconsin

no skirts and keep the whitewalls

22. conncsean

conncsean

With for sure! That's the great thing about hot rods. Everyone's got an opinion, but in the end this whole obsession is solely up to the owner.

23. motleycrue

motleycrue

hey, thanx for all the replies and opinions guys, ive decided to go with them on and lowered 3inch, ive ordered the blocks today from chevys of the 40s, so hopefully have them in couple of weeks, thanx again for your input, i will post pics when ive done it,

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      318.5 KB
      Views:
    • 008.JPG
      008.JPG
      File size:
      301 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg