Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help please with starter relay

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by hotrodmano, Jul 22, 2017.

1. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

My ignition consist of one key "on /off and one start button...soo Im a bloody forrigner. Where do I wire? What is "hot" in the start position and "hot" in the run position. I have an idea but would like confirmation before I blow my roadster up
    [​IMG]

Sent from my SM-G930F using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

When you say "Start Button" are you referring to a separately mounted from the ignition button or toggle on the dash

3. Post up the rest of your picture.

From ignition switch Hot in "start" position will go directly to starter's "S" terminal. There will also be a wire that comes from the starter's "I" terminal back to the coil.

From the ignition switch Hot in run position goes to the fuse box, and from the fuse box to the coil.

Your start button should get power from the Fuse box only when key is on. When you push the button it sends power to the S terminal.

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

are you using a stock [1] wire '30s-'40s starter button ? ... they were positive ground and sent ground from the dash itself to the solenoid, but with today's 12v. negative ground systems you would need a [2] terminal push button switch [isolated].
    this will become a momentary switch that takes 12v.pos. in and sends 12v pos. out to your solenoid when depressed...
    andy, here on the hamb found me a sourse... $12 I think... Cole Hersee Co. ...
    look just like the fords but don't have the word start stamped into them.... thanks bud ! DSCN1008.JPG

Petejoe likes this.

5. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

6. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Its a two wire button and im switching from 6 to 12 volt so it should be straightforward, if it hadent been for the clumsy dock boys who fried everything during shipping. Ive tested the switch and ign and its working. I just need to know what one means by "hot in the start position" and "hot in the run position The "Start" position is switch on, right? and the "run" is from my pushbutton switch?? or???

Last edited: Jul 22, 2017
  7. Sheep Dip

Sheep Dip
    from Central Ca

Use the hot in run position to power your coil and the start button, forget the hot in start, if I'm understanding what you have to work with.
    If you have access to an ohm meter or test light you can confirm all the post on your switch. 31 Vickey is correct

8. Ok, that terminology is for a ignition switch, right? Yes
    A standard ignition switch with 4 positions right? Yes
    4 positions 1 accessory, 2 off, 3 run, 4 start right? Yes

You have a 2 position switch, right? Yes
    Off and on right? Yes

The only wire, just one wire goes on hot in start position, and that wire goes direct to the starter solenoid S terminal.
    HOWEVER since you're using a remote mount start button on a 2 position ign switch you need ALL the wires to be "hot " meaning with power in the ON position. The one wire going to the starter get a Normally open /momentary close starter button.

9. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

10. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

just a thought...
    but maybe wire it through the key's ACC contact...
    ACC becomes hot when the key is switched to ON.. but no juice to the points...
    you can leave the key on ACC to jog the starter and not burn out the points...

11. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

No ACC. Just an on and off switch and a starter pushbutton.

12. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Heres the complete scematic. Would this work with an on and off ign.switch and a separate startbutton. If not, what would ev. be different. And, my starter relay is not marked on the battery/starter terminals, only on the "S" and "I" terminals. Is it a two way switchrelay or does it go one way only? Its the Standard SS581t Relay. Ive seen scematics for opposite batt/starter connections so Im not sure.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  13. Does this rig have a fuse box? It should.
    Just to confirm,
    There should also be two sides to the fuse box.
    One side is hot all the time.
    the other side is hot only when the ignition switch is turned on.

Your 2 position ignition switch is added,
    Your start button is added
    Your fuse box is added
    image.jpeg

The actual relay you have in your hand will need bench tested to see if it matters which side gets the starter cable. More likely the cable lug closest to the S terminal goes to battery.

Last edited: Jul 23, 2017
  14. Let's say you wire this as its setting in an engine test stand.
    Something without lights, signals, horn, just to make it run on a temporary basis.

image.jpeg

15. mcmopar

mcmopar
    from Strum, wi

31vicky, ya helped me out and made it look easy, Thanks.
    Tony

16. I am running a Pertronix module and coil so no resister. Wiring 002.jpg

17. hotrodmano

hotrodmano
    from Norway

Thanks guys. Its aprecciated.