Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP Please: broken tranny mount

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Rough Stock, Jan 3, 2011.

1. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

Realized that the transmission mounting bracket on my M1 pick up looked cracked and broken. It's a Ford "Metric" AOD.
    I am not very knowledgable when it comes to mechanics. I hoped to have some of you take a look and tell me what you see.
    Is that just a bracket?
    Can it be ordered and swapped out?

[​IMG]

2. KJSR

KJSR
    from Utah
    1. Utah HAMBers

This needs to be moved to the main board but yes it looks like your trans mount is broke. Mabye some Ford guys will know what year to get.....

3. brad chevy

brad chevy

No big problem,just a broken mount,looks pretty tight up under there hope your cross member isn"t welded in just in case you don"t have the clearance to jack up the tranny for mount removal.

4. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

Please move this thread to the main board...

5. hotrod36

hotrod36

Greg, I made the transmission crossmember removeable. It is an easy job... You need a jack and some basic hand tools (remove four bolts). I beleive the mount is off a Crown Victoria/Grand Marquis/Lincoln town car, should be the same through mid 80's to mid nineties. The part number could be on the old mount. The transmission is an Ford AOD. All the best...

Give me a call or email me and we can firgure it out together.

Looks like too many brake stands with the porter mufflers. LOL

6. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

Haha.. I'm not too big on burn outs... nothing against the burn out. I just don't like buying new tires.

Thanks J. I was hoping you'd chime in. Already have it jacked up. Gonna climb under and remove the mount and see what I find tomorrow.

7. hotrod36

hotrod36

Greg, did you get the mount off? Was there a part number to refferance it? An Auto Zone should be able to help you locate the correct part. Keep in touch...

8. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I think Hotrod36 gave you all the info you need to get it off. It looks like you can take the two nuts off the studs and jack the trans up just enough for the studs on them to clear the crossmember to slip the mount off.
    http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/detail/ANH0/2464.oap?pt=03234&ppt=C0019
    They have a bit of an odd construction to them though. Usually when they break the rubber separates from the metal or tears in two. The metal doesn't break except in extreme cases.

9. Frank

Frank

You also might be seeing rubber casting flash that can "look" like broken metal. Do you know for sure its broke? You can find those around $20 virtually anywhere. Just ask for any 90's Ford V8 car with an auto I believe.

10. Rough Stock

Rough Stock
    from Austin, Tx

didn't remove it...
    turns out that the mount isn't broken after all...

the other problem was the linkage cable was broken... order a replacement.
    should have it back on the road soon. can't wait.

11. Salty

Salty
    from Florida

I dunno brother, looks plenty broke to me at the very least pretty shady....the way the mount is constructed is two metal loops (the safety portion of the mount) that are separated by the injection moulded rubber.....they wear out and are consumables/normal wear items....Clamshell motor mounts are of similar construction (check them as well....)

For the 15 bucks it'll cost, I'd change it but thats just me....