Register now to get rid of these ads!

help out the wagon

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rafael, Sep 27, 2007.

1. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

hey fellas, got me a wagon, and im lookin to lower it.
    its a 1965 ford country sedan and i was going to do a lowering block kit out in the back and a spring cut out front, but the back has these suspension arms running to the rear end and it seems to sit on only springs. whats the best way to lower it? spring cut? in the long run i know bags would be better, but i cant wait for the long run.
    thanks -
    $arge

Attached Files:

2. Notorious

Notorious

If you'll look under the back, you may notice that lowering blocks ain't gonna cut it on a '65.
    As an ex-oval racer from the old days, coil mixin' and matchin' is fun! Take some measurements and scour the boneyards. If you're creative, you can lower all four corners w/o cutting anything and still have a good ride.

3. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Do you mean it has coils in the back?

4. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

I have a 65 country squire and lowered it a bit,I cut the front coils and used clamps on the rears,you cant cut the rears since they taper to small ends so they can bolt to the frame and rearend. I bought three pairs of clamps and bought longer bolts for one set as the ones with the clamps are not long enough to get the clamps on the springs,I used the clamps with the longer bolts to get it started and then used the other two sets to get it clamped where I wanted. Jeff

5. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

yeah it has coils in the back...

junkyardjeff what do you mean clamp the back???
    you're not talking about the clamp that holds the spring down right?

6. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

heres a pic of the coils

Attached Files:

7. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

Since there is no way to cut the rear coils clamps must be used to clamp a couple coils togather to lower it,all the discount parts stores sell these clamps which can be used to clamp them togather to lower or spread them apart to raise. I have two clamps on each rear spring across from each other to lower mine,I had put new coils all the way around on mine and the front would not settle so I cut two coils off the front which lowered it about 5 inches and the clamps brought the rear down about 3. Jeff

8. There's was a real nice one at the HAMB drags. Here's a picture. Don't remember who owned it.

Attached Files:

9. danagamer

danagamer

sounds like that would be real hard on the suspension. I recall someone claiming the 66-68 Fairlaine rear trailing arms use the non-tapered coil springs, kinda like GM and that they will fit in a '65. Worth looking into.

10. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

ill scrub the net to look for them there coils.. thanks!

11. danagamer

danagamer

I think you will need the coils and the trailing arms from a 66-68.

12. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

13. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

Maybe regular 65 car springs(not wagon) would work as I have used wagon springs to go the other derection (up)in various cars in the past.
    Somebody step forward and say why he couldnt cut end off the rears also, and conform the spring to the same taper with heat?
    will the heat cause them to break?
    I have seen springs just heated to lower one and never saw one broke?
    any replies?

14. junkyardjeff

junkyardjeff

The coils taper on both ends is why they cant be cut,they also bolt to the rearend and frame and need the small end of the spring to hold it in place. If you cut the springs it will make the spring larger and there is not enough area on the rear end and frame for the spring to sit in if cut and made larger,he has two easy choices either clamp them or buy special lowered springs. If he is handy with a welder a larger plate could be made and welded on so the cut spring will sit in place. Jeff

15. low budget

low budget
    from Central Ky

read the part about heating and conforming the spring then tell me no:D

16. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

i guess i could conform the spring to fit the taper with a torch...
    or i could go airbags!!! with the airbags i should just need the upper and lower "cup" (or whatever the hell theyre called) for the bag to sit in and plum it in right? that way i can go up or down!!! yeah buddy.

17. slammed

slammed

Eaton Spring Company at Detriot area can make shorter version's and give a decent ride as well.

18. Here is the worse advice for today,

Just heat the springs till it sits where you want to.
    Crappy ride, but cheap

19. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

You may be able to get NEW springs from your local auto parts store. Ask to see the Moog Coil Spring Catalog. Look up your application, perhaps going for sedan rather than wagon. Look at chart in back whihc lists all springs by end types, wire diameter, spring rate and free height. See if something else may work that is slightly shorter or lighter in rate.

20. vote two for bag it

21. rafael

rafael
    from Moody AFB

any good places to check out how to???
    1st time bagger long time admirer.