Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Help or advise in Iowa about titling a 41 Plymouth

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by hotrodbuilder32, Aug 14, 2017.

1. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

I just purchased a 1941 Plymouth out of Minnesota and the owner "claimed" to have owned it for 30 years and did not have the title. So before I really get into fixing this thing up I would like to get a title for it so that I will not have any issues down the road.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. alchemy

alchemy

Bonded title. Worked easy for me about 4 years ago. My brother did a two trucks a couple years ago. All legal and not too costly. Look up the IDOT website and follow all their instructions. It will take a few months to get all done, then the bond will last 3 years, but after that you are in the clear.

3. hotrodbuilder32

hotrodbuilder32

Thanks !!! About how much do the bonds cost?

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. lonejacklarry

lonejacklarry
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

A simpler remedy would entail having the previous owner apply for a lost title in Minnesota. .

5. Check with the person that writes your automobile insurance they might also do bonds. Call your DMV first and see how big of a bond you will need as that will determine the cost.

Charlie Stephens

6. alchemy

alchemy

I think my bond was ten percent of my $1,500 car. My regular auto insurance agent got it for me.

7. chubbie

chubbie

Easy, I have done it several times. the FIRST thing you need to know is: every time you do this its DIFFERENT!!!! contact your local DOT office but chances are they don't know shit!! and may give you bad advise. Just get the phone number for Des Moines DOT. They want to know that your not trying to beat the system or have a stolen car, parts. So have a bill of sale for the car, receipts for everything (if you have them all they won't even look at them all) Listen to them!!!! IT'S THEIR PROGRAM!!! I've heard so many guys bragging how they messed with them but their story also lasted a year cost a lot of money, these people know when your being a total dick. They want pictures, so take nice ones! they want a picture of the VIN so clean it up! I also take a "rubbing" of the number with a pencil.After you have sent in the pictures and DOT form they will send out a inspector for an inspection.(the last 2 I did they didn't even send out an inspector) You need to value your car, so do this early when the car is rough so its not worth so much. your BOND is set on a % of the cars value. I used my insurance people for the bond, again they don't know shit!!! (you can tell because they look at you and say we don't do that?? do we??) It cost me $50 to maybe $150 for the bond ( I've heard of $1500) My friend just got his inspected and didn't even need a bond. DOT guy said you made your frame, and the body and parts are just parts and you have paper for every thing. so no one can put a claim on it. BUT! he needed defrosters! first time I heard of that! So it's painless just don't be a dick, they are so much better at it then you are!

vtx1800 and lonejacklarry like this.
  8. JOECOOL

JOECOOL

I have a local DOT guy who is somewhat friendly . Be nice ,be helpfull and he is good to get along with . The Defroster was not a new one to me ,they have also mentioned doors that lock and windshield wipers. Go Figure!!! I put a truck style defroster fan on a roadster and he seemed happy . My insurance would not write a bond ( State Farm) but an independent in town did , think it was $150. My opinion is if you try to lie or screw him over you probably would not get very far on your title.

Bruce Fischer likes this.
  9. This is probably about right, they were 10 or 12% in Missouri a couple of years back and the insurance agent is the way to go. I don't think I have heard of anyone ever claiming a boned car.

10. gene-koning

gene-koning

The bond you need is called a "Surety Bond" it protects the state, should someone show up with an original title for your car before the 3 years are up.

In IL the bond needs to be 1 1/2 times the wholesale value of the car/truck. My bond cost me $50/$1000 value, minimum $2,000 about 5 years ago. Gene

11. JOECOOL Don't even get me started on State Farm Insurance.LOL.Bruce.

12. The absolute first route to take is to have the seller obtain a valid MN replacement title, assuming he titled it in the first place.

Failing that, you must either go the bonded title route, or chance it with some other method of obtaining a title for the VIN. The steps for a bonded title in Iowa are pretty straight forward. You can find the necessary form and instructions on Iowa DOT website. Everything can be done via email and postal mail unless the state deems an inspection is necessary.

State Farm will grant title bonds. I just received one last month through State Farm for an Iowa bonded title. Your agent will need a copy of the letter from the state that indicates how much bond is required. They will then provide you with a form to sign that they will submit to State Farm "corporate" to request the bond. "Corporate" will then grant the bond, and return the state's paperwork to your agent with the appropriate signatures and the fee amount required.

My recent title application was for a vehicle that I purchased for $1800. Iowa set the book value at $2000 and bond amount at $3000. State Farm charged me $100 for the bond.