Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help on VALUE. Found a Coupe body, and a running '30 Coupe

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kreal, Jun 3, 2009.

1. Kreal

Kreal

Hi all.,

I found two cars locally, both different sellers. I was wondering what the values would be on these cars as I do not have any knowledge of value pertaining to old Model A's.

1930 Coupe, with title,running. Good body.

Second is a yellow coupe, not sure on year. Just body no title.

What price range would each body be worth interms of 'rat rod/hot rod' value?

Thank you.

Here is a photo of the yellow coupe. I do not have a photo of the 1930 coupe.

[​IMG]

2. Looks like someone tried to put a Coupe rear body on a Tudor front body. Something is not correct with that body.

3. choppintops

choppintops
    BANNED

I would have a really tough time coughing up $1000 for the yellow one. As for the other car, you need a LOT more details, than "with title, running".

4. Docco

Docco
    from Ippy

That car looks way off. The rear quarters and side window are too short. Unless you like the kooky look of it, i personally wouldn't buy it.

5. Kreal

Kreal

6. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Pass.

Are those s.t. sheetmetal screws holding the deck lid on? Classy!!!

7. That yellow thing is an abortion.

8. mpls|cafe|racer

mpls|cafe|racer
    BANNED

Oh, and you want a value?

I wouldn't pay $50.00 for it. Looks like you're probably buying someone elses leftovers.

9. Doug B

Doug B

The yellow car looks like a tudor conversion with home made quarters and deck lid and a shortened rear roof. But it was a rod once. Even thought its ugly , I'd drag it home if it was cheap.

10. The yellow thing is a '30-'31 Model A cowl and doors (apparently 2 door sedan) and an obviously homemade rear section. I'd still get it if it were local and cheap, wouldn't go over a few hundred for it (basically figure the value of the frame, cowl, and doors. It would be fun to cut off that cobbled up mess on the back, graft on the lower rear section of a sedan body, and make a stretch cab for a pickup out of it. I've always wanted a Model A closed cab pickup although I know at 6'5" and very long legged I would be mighty uncomfortable in one. A Model A stretch cab could solve that problem.

11. screwball

screwball

ask the owner what he needs for it thats always a good starting point.

12. srosa707

srosa707
    from Sacramento

13. I see you have posted extra pic.s . That body will probably still be under those same trees for another 10 years. It will be covered in rotten leaves and green moss and slime and hardly recognisable.Then some newbie on the HAMB wil find it and post pics again. Thats where you jump in and set him straight :D

14. general gow

general gow
    Staff Member

that one is in tough shape. i agree that it's worth it only for the cowl, doors, and frame. i would give 200-300 for it if i had the room for it.

it isnt really a good start for a model a coupe hot rod though.

i'd like to know more about the titled running car. that would be a better start for you for sure.

15. The37Kid

The37Kid

Two hundred bucks on that yellow body is more than a fair offer. What is the chassis from?

16. czuch

czuch
    from vail az

Buy it and resell it to a rat rodder. They dont know the diff nohow. then go get the runner,;-}

17. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

all of these whats it worth threads,,doesn't anyone know how to go out and haggle and deal with a car or parts anymore with out first consulting the all mighty internet ? my god

you offer what you have to spend

18. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

that car is a step away from "yard art"

i agree with the couple hundred dollar idea, i'd buy it for $200-$300, just to have it.
    as i always say, if nothing else i'll put it in my back yard and drink beer in it.

19. 5window

5window

I disagree. Some of us might have more money, or desire, than brains or experience. I think it's okay to ask for general price ranges from HAMBers with a lot more experience buying and selling these cars. Ultimately, of course, it depends on what the seller wants and what the buyer is willing to pay.

However,KREAL, please note that we have no more idea what a rat rod is worth than a Pinto Pimpmobile since no real Hamb member does either one. We do HOTRODS.

20. Little Wing

Little Wing
    from Northeast

hot rods,,lol How many hot rods have started out as just blown out wrecks ?? Thats not a rat,,rats are built.. That car may have looked good at one point.
    and well brains and experience you get by learning and making mistakes...

but whatever...

21. That yellow hack has been posted on here before by someone else, and no one could figure out it was a tudor shortened with a homemade trunk tacked on.

If it comes with a frame and front and rear axles, there's $500 or so in parts there give or take, cleaned up as a roller on a trailer you might be able to pump more out of it as an "early hot rod" but I've seen real coupe rollers sell for $2000 or so, so you're not going to retire on it or anything. The body is kinda goofy but I'd want to see what kind of work is in the frame and suspension and so on and find out what the history of the car is before I rejected it as just crapola.

One thing you're going to find on here is opinions will vary widely. The guys with the big wallets won't bother with something like that, nor will the ones who don't have the skill or the patience to mess with something super rough. As a result they don't see any value in something like that, even though there certainly could be some value if just as parts. For every guy who thinks it's worthless there's going to be a guy glad to pay $500 for that body.

A running, driving correct A coupe with shiny paint is another story, minimum $5000 to as much as $12,000 depending on just how nice it is.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2009
  22. I think if a guy has no idea what something is worth, he should ask for experienced advise. It seems to me that, for the most part, when these questions are asked on the HAMB, the advise is usually pretty objective.We can't all know everything about every car. For example,I'll bet there are people that would have thought that Model A was a real coupe. If you can save someone a lot of aggravation and money....why not help? Too many people get burned by paying too much, and then get turned off on the hobby. Now for my two cents, that "A" is worth as much as the gas tank, doors, visor and cowl if, in fact, they are any good...$300.00 tops, if you really have to have it. For me, I'd just save the photo!

23. Midwest Rodder

Midwest Rodder

Yea I remember seeing the pics before, Looks like a lot of work to fix what someone else started. I think someone said last time they thought it used to be a racer because of the swing pedals it has in it. If the price was right I would bring it home and work it over.

24. six pack to go

six pack to go
    from new jersey

Good start for a first time build...if you F$%K it up, wont be that big of a deal...then sell it as a rat rod?!?!?! Just make it safe...2cents

25. 5window

5window

So every one posting a question about how to do something so just go out and do, screwing up until they finally get it right? One way to learn is to ask someone who already has had the experience.