Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help! on sheet metal selection

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by KROWN Kustoms, May 21, 2010.

1. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Im getting ready to build the bed for my 41 chevy, and was wondering what gauge sheet metal you guys think is more suited for the build? Not going to be hauling stuff in it, but dont want to have to brace the crap out of it either. Any info would be great.

2. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

Don't ask me, I used 3/16" for the floor and firewall of my bucket.:eek:
    I would say 16 ga. though.

3. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

wow! dont have to worry about that rusting out.

4. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

If you have stiffing features in it 18 other wise I''d go with 16ga. Features = beads ,flanges etc. 16ga is tuff to bead roll.

5. R Frederick

R Frederick
    from illinois

I was more worried about height of seating, seat belt mounting, body mounts tearing through (God forbid a collision). It was easier to lay the plate on the garage floor shimmed up, weld the body to it, and bolt the plate floor on rubber biscuits directly to the chassis. I plan on welding a roll bar directly to the floor also.:D
    I saw pics of a fiberglass bucket flop the whole cab onto the engine with the driver attached in an in-town intersection collision. I don't want that.

6. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

No beads, or short flanges. Just a brake at the top of course, and was thinking of welding some 1 1/2 exhaust tubing to the top for the bed rails.

7. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Yeah, I can see your reasoning. My buddy has one with a wooden floor ang those rubber plug style mounts, with a blown small block in it. Scares the crap out of me when I ride with him. Not much protection at all!

8. Scott Hightower

Scott Hightower
    from Georgia

18 ga will work if you form a 45 degree bend down the entire length every 1 or 2 inches to add stiffness.

I have also seen a bed that was perfectly flat on top but had a secondary sheet beneath in formed every inch.

Scott
    Fab Manager
    Welders360.com

9. Da Tinman

Da Tinman

[​IMG]

Its upside down but that is all 16 guage, no beads or braces. "Unibody" as it were, plenty stiff.

10. KROWN Kustoms

KROWN Kustoms

Damn! That looks very nice. But way beyond my skill level. Good work.

11. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

[​IMG]

18 ga with no beads. I made drawings off of an original and had a sheet metal shop bend up the pieces using a product called "paint lock" that was available 30 years ago for sheet metal parts that would be painted. I don't know if it is still available. The metal was pretreated.

12. truck bed 008 (2).jpg

truck bed 009 (2).jpg

truck bed 011 (2).jpg

made this one out of 18ga.

and if the guy dont pay up its going up for sale.:mad: