Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help needed to ID this axle

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by FNG, Dec 7, 2019.

1. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Would anyone have any idea as to what this axle might be from? I want to install new kingpins but have no clue what it's from only thing I know is that it came out of a 55 Chevy Gasser

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. squirrel

squirrel

looks like it probably has 49-54 type Chevy car spindles on it. Also it looks like an aftermarket axle, so it's not "from" anything.

3. verde742

verde742

FROM SPEEDWAY MOTORS ?

Call ask for Larry...

Deuces, irishsteve and Speed Gems like this.
  4. rocknwrench

rocknwrench

well....hopefully not speedway...unless its for a museum piece or trailer queen.

Mr48chev likes this.

5. Looks like a tube set up for a gasser.
    And gm spindles.
    And possible speedway

Deuces and irishsteve like this.
  6. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Definitely not a Speedway it does have Chevy spindles and a late model single piston disc brake kit with it

7. rusty valley

rusty valley

you can buy kings pins by the size, not needing the application. you just need an old parts store that still has the books and will let you spend the time looking for your size. pull one out and measure a non worn surface, id and od of the bushings and get out your wallet. probably online too, but i like books

Deuces likes this.
  8. The37Kid

The37Kid

Is in made from tail pipe tubing?

Bob

9. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Why do you say definitely not from Speedway? Squirrel is right this is a 49-54 chevy spindle, get a set of king pins for a 1954 Chevy Bel Air they will work fine with what you have.

At one time Speedway offered there axles to fit the 49-54 Chevy spindles, which were plentiful in the yards at one time. If you sent your spindles to them they would machine them for a disc brake kit.

Desoto291Hemi likes this.
  10. FNG

FNG
    from New Jersey
    1. HAMB Relays

Way ahead of ya, the king pins are a given and not all that expensive It's been a while but I've done more than my fair share of kingpins so no concerns there, its has to be striped down before I weld the new spring pad from Posies and then powder coated, my metal supplier said that you can calculate wall thickness by weight Wt/Ft = 10.69*(OD - Wall Thickness)*Wall Thickness. Which worked out to be .375 wall thickness so it will be plenty strong