Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Needed; Removing a Model A Fuel Tank

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by High Class Rat, May 25, 2009.

1. I have a 1931 Ford Model A Coupe. I have a bubble forming under the paint ontop of the cowling, passenger side, just under the windshield, near the cowling seam. I'm guessing that the fuel tank is leaking fumes. I need to remove the fuel tank to see if there is a leak in the seam.

I have since installed a spun aluminum fuel tank in the trunk, and drained the dash tank (which I no longer intend to use).

Can anyone tell me the best way to remove the old cowling tank. Can it be removed from inside or does the cowling need to be removed?

I appreciate your reply.

2. it's been a while since i messed with a 30/31 A, but i recall it should come out if you remove all those clamps on the inside..and i think a few screws on the top of the firewall

3. rustrodder

rustrodder
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well-the front lip of the tank sits on top of the firewall and is bolted to the firewall. The rear lip slips under the windshield filler piece. The sides have little c-clamps that hold it to the cowl sides-you have to crawl under the dash to access these. Don't forget to unbolt the dash/gauges also.

4. Thank you very much. It will definately save me time and effort.

HCR

5. lowrodderDon

lowrodderDon
    BANNED

look around, you'll find fasteners, undo them, it will come out, but the tank is the cowl, so you'll have to replace it or cut the tank loose from the cowl and put the cowl back and fill the hole.