Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help needed from the ford guys solved

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by coupe man, Aug 9, 2023.

1. coupe man

coupe man

I have a 351 w block dated D4AE which the previous owner removed one of the 4 coolent drain plugs on the side of the block and tossed it away.I'm having a hard time trying to figure out what what type and thread count it is.does anybody have the specs of these plugs so I could replace it.The three remaining plugs are froze in the block and not to sure about putting heat on it the remove them.Thanks for shareing your knowledge.

chryslerfan55 likes this.
  2. alanp561

alanp561
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

What year 351W? Only ones I know of are the two toward the back of the engine. One is actually covered up by the starter.

3. If the drain plugs are cast iron or cad steel just weld a 5/16 bolt lever style or a steel strap to them the weld heat will loosen them the lever action will help to turn them out forget trying a wrench on the flats as will just strip off.

4. coupe man

coupe man

was told it came out of a mid 70's ford .there's two plugs on both sides of the block.They're below the freeze plugs and above the the oil pan.

5. coupe man

coupe man

Thye're allen head plugs.

6. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Pic would help but I think thread is 1/4"npt.

partssaloon and Truckdoctor Andy like this.
  7. coupe man

coupe man

I tried 1/4" npt and they were to big.1/8" to small.Is it possible that they are Metric?

8. alchemy

alchemy

The D means the 70’s, and the 4 means 1974.

9. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

If 1/4" is larger then why not drill and tap them to 1/4", all of them and be done.

Jokester likes this.
  10. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

11. coupe man

coupe man

Thats beginning to look like the solution.Thanks for all your help but I sure would like to know what the answer is.This is my first Ford engine and going in a 56 f 100.

12. coupe man

coupe man

Sorry for waisting your time.There are only two drain plugs.One on the back of the driver side and one on the front of the passenger side.These are 1/4 npt.the one I was asking about is at the back on the passenger side behind the starter.Thanks for the replys.

loudbang likes this.
  13. I had one on my 350 that was stuck fast. No matter, it was going to the machine shop anyway. The builder said he had a tough time getting it out, the blue wrench was the answer. Even a propane type torch with mapp gas should work on getting it hot enough.

14. Budget36

Budget36

I’m confused, what’s been solved?
    I see several replies on how to possibly get them out, but don’t see a request for a “how to”.
    I thought the request was the size to replace a missing plug?
    Someone help me out here and ease my mind;).