Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed from 60 Olds owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by swifty, May 17, 2006.

1. swifty

swifty

I have a steering wheel from a 60 Olds which I am considering for my current project but I can't get it apart!
    This wheel has been in storage for 40 years and is in real good shape so I would hate to break or damage it.
    Can anyone head me in the right direction?

Swifty

2. Olson

Olson

On my '62 there are two one way headed machine screws on the backside of the spokes that hold the chrome there (grab the right driver from the parts store if ya don't have one...it's the figure eight lookin' deal)...and the center cap is just clipped on...pulls right off. Then you should see two bolts in the center (I think...it's been a while). The '60 is slightly different than the '62 but not much so I'd start there.

Olson

3. swifty

swifty

Thanks Sinkemlow,
    Other wheels I've worked on have had big screws out in the spokes holding the center chrome or padded section on. On this one I have never seen screws like that and thought they were like a rivet molded into the plastic rim.
    There is one small grubscrew on the underside of the center section and when I removed that I still couldn't budge the center.

Will have to see if I can find one of those odd looking drivers.

Swifty

4. Olson

Olson

No problem. You should be able to find the driver easy enough. If you can't get it locally, you can get it online.

Olson