Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help needed from '50-'51 Ford owners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by tubman, May 21, 2019.

1. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

One of the final tasks I have on my '51 club coupe is to get the door locks working properly. I have everything working except the passenger side door lock. I have the linkages on both sides properly connected, so turning the key moves the mechanism. I have 4 lock mechanisms, 2 are the originals from the car, and two are reproductions. All four of the lock mechanisms will only turn 90 degrees counter clockwise. This works fine on the driver's side, as turning the key will unlock the door. The way they work means you cannot lock the drivers door with a key. On the passenger side, turning the key the requisite 90 degrees will lock the door, but it cannot be unlocked with the key. If the passenger side door lock would turn 90 degrees clockwise, it would unlock the door just fine. By the way, the lock mechanisms are "handed" (mirror images different for either side). Mine are mounted with the relief on the cover up.

So I have a couple of questions for guys with '50-'51 Fords. First, can you lock the doors with the key, or only unlock them? Second which way do you have to turn the key to unlock them on either side, clockwise or counter clockwise). It seems to me that I have a couple of defective passenger side lock mechanisms that turn the wrong way and lock the door, but not unlock it. I thought I knew about these cars, but I am in uncharted territory here. Any help will be appreciated.

Last edited: May 21, 2019
  2. leon bee

leon bee

I'll have a look at mine, I'm out on a road trip right now.

3. Casey Riley

Casey Riley
    from Minnesota

My 51 Mercury locks don't work...

4. I removed mine with the rebuild but remember them both locking an unlocking. I'd remove the tumbler from the door and check that they both turn each direction. Is it possible that the tumbler set screw in the door jamb is a problem?

5. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've had all four lock mechanisms (two original and to re-pops) out and they all turn a quarter turn counter clockwise only. (I even tried to force one of the re-pops a bit, but it still wouldn't go. My original lock mechanisms are perfect, but the re-pops came with an ignition switch I needed).

6. I think I know where my old ones are. I'll go check them out in a bit. Is there a cam stop plate on the back side where the finger set's in the slot?

7. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Bttt - Surely someone out there has one of these with working door locks.

8. leon bee

leon bee

Gonna look at mine today, what am I lookin for again? I got the door panels off and it seemed like key worked both sides.

9. With a 51 latch unit in my hand I am able to both Lock and unlock the unit by turning the receiver for the key unit. The square hole at the lower left of this photo is where the shaft from the key lock goes.
    20190522_120725.jpg The actual Key unit has no cam stop to prevent it from turning both directions. There is a boss at the 6 o-clock position to keep the tumbler from turning 360*.
    20190522_120805.jpg At this point I would remove your Key lock unit and make sure you can rotate the tumbler unit both directions with it in your hand. If they won't do that, you found your issue. Next would be to use some kind of Tool to access the square receiver in the latch unit an run it through it's operation to be sure it's doing it's job.

10. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks for the info. It looks like I have defective lock units. I have removed them from the car and tried to turn the tumbler. As I said earlier, all four will only turn 90 degrees in a counter clock wise direction, even after I fried to force one of the repops. I guess I will have to take one of the repops a[part to see what's going on..

11. Look close at the outer jacket of the tumbler and find what's limiting the inner rotation. Might be easier to just modify what you already have. It's just pot metal and files very easy.

12. leon bee

leon bee

I looked at mine today, still in the door. I was surprised they work that way, that you have to lock the doors from outside. Never had tried, figured it was like others I've had- push down the button and close the door. As in: oops, is that my keys still in the ignition?

My neck started hurting trying to look up in there, but, on both doors, the key turns 90 degrees without effort locking or unlocking the door. I can pull one out if you need pics or something. Looking in, about all you can see is the little shaft pistnbroke shows.

13. If you can enlarge these two pictures you can see what stops key rotation. In the neutral position directly under the tumbler is an extention of the inner part and directly under that at 6 o-clock is the stop. Sounds like your stop goes to far around. I'd file some of it off.
    20190522_120805.jpg 20190522_120743.jpg

14. tubman

tubman
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I have it figured out (finally). I took one of the repop locks apart and found here was a burr that kept it from turning clockwise. A few strokes with a file cured the problem. The strange thing is that I couldn't fix the originals. I got one to the point where I could get it to work once in a while, but I couldn't get it to operate consistently. I think it's just worn out. When I had the repops apart, I was favorably impressed with the quality (except for the burr), so I am using them.

Thanks to all who helped.

15. We were just talking on another post how "New" no longer means Good to go. Sounds like that's what you just ran into. To bad it's so common today. Glad you got it worked out.