Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help needed : flatty want start

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Steverod, Jun 3, 2017.

1. Steverod

Steverod

Hi to all rodders

I rebuild a french flathead for my 36, build a new Isky cam in it . The crank & piston arent touched. It has a crab distributor, new pointer , new codensator, new carbs , Navarro heads , scot blower and more .
    I head everything running nicely like you can watch it on the video .

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?st...ory_permalink_view&auto=1&loc=permalink&mdf=1

After i removed the oil pan to reweld it and put a breather on i retry to drive a round in the neighborhood an i had a brake down .
    Like no gas or misefire .
    So i checked the spark plugs i head a nice spark on it .
    The pointer is correct to .018
    The firing order was correct , even the timing because it runned and i rechecked it.
    Check the gas lines , carbs , electrical f.pump, even put an other new two Stromberg carbs on it . There was some plugs wet some not some not
    And a lot of unburned black smoke came out of the exhaust ( unburned gas).
    I checked the compression and it is good , turns freely & nice .
    I thought that maybe the cam jump a few degree from the crank but i can not imagine that . Never heard of that on a flathead.

Hope some of you have a good idea

2. steinauge

steinauge
    from 1960

If you know you have a good,hot spark NOW I would first check compression on all cylinders,if that is OK bring cylinder #1 to tdc compression and make sure your rotor is pointing at the #1 terminal.If not fix it so it is,if it is or when you have made it so ,put the plugs back in, squirt a little starting fluid in the carb(just a little) and see if the engine doesnt start. If you have air, fuel,compression,ignition and ignition is occuring at the right time the engine will run.

spurgeonforge likes this.