Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed...Flathead Ford V8...

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by SpDDmN, Oct 9, 2008.

1. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

Hi fellow Hambers....I'm in search of all & any info about the 1933 Ford Flathead V8...thanx a bunch!Jannie

2. Muerte_Ventura

Muerte_Ventura
    from Austria

3. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

It came with two kinds of innards...some had the 1932 style valve guides with integral retainer flange, some with the common '33-48 kind, and they were made with both the 1932 forged crankshaft (front counterweight looks like a cricket bat) and cas shafts like '34.

4. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

thanx Hambers!...I'm also looking for the engine no. ....Got a engine here,not sure if it's a '33....funny story is,is that we got the engine from some guy...& another guy we know,has a '33 vicky to whom this engine might belong?!(no's matching thing).....car & engine has been apart for about 40yrs +.....

5. iamspencer

iamspencer

the other day some guy came into the shop and was tellign me of how her just scapped 3 of them, and said if he found any more hed let me know, ill keep you updated

6. '32 engine has a 18- prefix on the part # on the heads, '33-'35 heads have a 40- prefix, '36 heads have a 68- prefix. '36 was last to have water pumps in the heads. Check out the Early Ford V8 forum on www.fordbarn.com, also check out the forums at www.earlyfordV8.org

7. SpDDmN

SpDDmN

the engine no. is C18SF 132.....what engine could this be?a '33 perhaps?the prev. owner of the vicky made it into a stockcar back in the day...sold the engine to guys that had a spares place....we got the engine from a guy that got it from a old spares place in the same area......mmmmm???could this be the lost engine of the vicky?

8. reefer

reefer

punch "flathead techno" into google, it is a realy useful site.

9. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK...serial on actual engine, C18...it is Canadian (I did not notice where you were til I saw the "C"!)
    Canadian numbers are completely different from USA...they were in fairly small batches, the "SF" part. I think I have the list somewhere, it also exists online I think. If not. '33-4 engines can be ID'd by their charcteristics anyhow.

10. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

If this is a 1933:
    Front oil pan area on block and pan will be essentially symmetrical, no breather opening up there.
    Aluminum intake, flat front generator bracket like all later flatheads, simple log design with single barrel carb
    Carb is Detroit lubricator with an extra lever on left side of throttle for hand control
    Fuel pump has no rocker arm, mounts directly on pump hole at back with separate tube for oil/breather. This is almost universally modified with later parts.
    Exhaust manifolds same as '33-6
    Pan is a plain coffin shaped steel stamping with no separately shaped sump area
    air filter is a sort of very shallow Nazi helmet, like one of the '32 types, OR a heavy duty gigantic oil bath that sits on one head and connects to carb by steel tube...this might well have been standard for Africa export??
    Distributor the same as all '33-6, but with slower advance curve
    early and late front mounts differ

You need: 1932--36 Service Bulletins, 1934 or 1936 parts book, 1933 owner's manual...
    All are available from almost any US Early V8 place...I believe the Early Ford V8 Club has just released a 1933-4 restoration book which will be well worth getting if it's like there other books.
    1933 mechanical oddities are almost as rare as 1932, but thankfully for you cheaper!

Bruce

11. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus