Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help needed 49-51 Mercury windshield installation

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ether, Jul 29, 2009.

1. Anybody have any info or tricks to installing the windshield in a 51 merc. A buddy and I went and cut the glass for it two days ago. I am about ready to put it in. I will be using a factory type seal and using the center devider. The merc is chopped 3 inches so I trimmed the seal already. I did a search and didnt find much of anything. Chad

Attached Files:

2. It seems the windshield installs a bit different from most, from the inside.

3. mazdaslam

mazdaslam

Yes. From the inside, the outer stainless will hold it in place but the inside garnish really keeps it there.

4. It seemed to be a bit tight when I tried to get the seal past the area of the A-piller. Does anyone know what the gap is supposed to be between the glass at the devider without the seal? oldbeet, you out there???

5. Bump any tips on installing glass in a '51?

6. John It goes right in if you undo the dash from the front and let it hang just a bit. Make sure it is trimmed right. My first attemt was a little oversize. Typical aviation mentality making it close to exact!!!!

7. Bumpstick

Bumpstick

I can be really frustrating. Take your time. Stainless should be installed after glass and gasket are in. Not as one piece. IMO. If you have a helper, have them hold the windshield from inside the car while you pull the rubber over the lip. Putty knife helps. Just be careful!! I did it by myself. If I wasn't already bald I'da pulled my hair out! Take your time!! -stick

8. Which glass is the hardest on the Merc, seems like the back glass could be since it's the biggest and heaviest.

9. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Time to review this thread. I tried to install both glass pieces with new rubber seal in a stock 50 Merc.

1. Soaped up the rubber seal.
    2. Installed both pieces of glass in the rubber seal.
    3. Relocated the the glass and rubber seal combination to the inside of the Merc.
    4. Set the driver's side lower portion of the seal in the base of the window opening.
    5. Starting working the driver's side of the window seal into the window opening.
    6. Stopped when the driver's side top & bottom of the seal was engaged in the window opening.
    7. Started working the pass side. Could not get past the pass side "A" pillar. That is when I BROKE the glass!!!

Does anyone know what I did wrong? Stock window opening, stock rubber gasket, stock dimensions on the glass. Merc was never hit, or repair. Had the stock door hinges on it.

I did not lower the dash. Did that make the difference on the pass side?

10. slddnmatt

slddnmatt

Which merc you doing this to Joe? Chopped? If so look for any welds sticking up in the chopped areas. I usually put one side first usually the driver because of the steering wheel then fish in the center and work my way around.....they suck especially if the glass is just a smidge over size.

11. [QUOTE=enfieldjoe;7570091]Time to review this thread. I tried to install both glass pieces with new rubber seal in a stock 50 Merc.

1. Soaped up the rubber seal.
    Don't need to lube the seal till you start the install

2. Installed both pieces of glass in the rubber seal.
    right on make sure it seated tight on the glass

3. Relocated the the glass and rubber seal combination to the inside of the Merc.
    I always bring in in from the passenger side

4. Set the driver's side lower portion of the seal in the base of the window opening.
    don't let the rubber catch the pinch weld yet. slide it on the dash
    an extra 1/4 in goes a long way here, I use two bent putty knives on the passenger A piller. it's usually the wind lace that catches. pry the gasket and tap the glass, get both windshields in and centered before you start lipping the seal. I use 3/16 nylon rope to pull the lip over.

5. Starting working the driver's side of the window seal into the window opening.
    don't start one side till both sides are in place

6. Stopped when the driver's side top & bottom of the seal was engaged in the window opening.
    You should have stopped sooner

7. Started working the pass side. Could not get past the pass side "A" pillar. That is when I BROKE the glass!!!
    Don't break the glass

Does anyone know what I did wrong? Stock window opening, stock rubber gasket, stock dimensions on the glass. Merc was never hit, or repair. Had the stock door hinges on it.
    It looks to me that you started 5,6, before finishing step 4

I did not lower the dash. Did that make the difference on the pass side?[/QUOTE]
    using two 1 1/2 inch putty knives you can compress the gasket enough to slide the second windshield in. have the gasket centered and fluch against the pinch weld. when you pull the rope always pull towards the center of the windshield and you will never cut the gasket
    have fun........Jim

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  12. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Matt:
    Replacing the windshield on the stock, 50 Merc I just bought from Cali.

13. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Jim (NoName), thanks for the tech. Yeah, I had the driver's side top & bottom rubber gasket all the way engaged, then tried to maneuver the pass side glass/gasket past the "A" pillar. I was using two plastic bondo spreaders to compress the gasket, while putting pressure on the glass--BROKE it!.

I actually checked the windshield that came out against the new glass and it was slightly undersized in comparison.

Oh well, more glass is on the way!

14. enfieldjoe

enfieldjoe
    from Eustis, FL

Jim (NoName) BIG thanks for your tech tips on installing the windshield. The second attempt was successful today! Just have to finish installing the garnish moulding and SS trim. Will do that tomorrow.

Attached Files:

15. glad I could help..........Jim

16. pacoloco

pacoloco

Can you Do a step by step on how you install the garnish. I got a few weeks till I get my chopped 49 back from body and primer shop and will be doing the windshield next.

Also which rubber did you buy? Dennis C? Rubber the right way? Vintage ford?

Thanks for your help guys and an excellent thread!

17. Thanks for the tips just installed my windshield. Less then two hours with the help.