Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help: My neighbors are complaining

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ann Marie, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. do you smell gasoline? i was thinking, maybe the woman has a really good sense of smell and smells a chemical smell. when a car comes with a "chemical" smell, i think brake fluid burning on the exhaust. have you been losing brake fluid? maybe this is just an early warning?

2. nochop

nochop
    from norcal

There is nothing worse on the planet than a neighbor war.......good luck

3. upspirate

upspirate

You painted your engine.....maybe just new paint on hot engine?

Maybe Oldsmobile gold smells better than pink??!! LOL:eek::D:)

4. seb fontana

seb fontana
    from ct

Slosh back I learned to blame on modern gas pumps as there is too much pressure at the nozzle and the wide open hole you fill through doesn't allow enough pressure build up to trip the shut off in the nozzle..Filling real slow and watching for fuel was a pain.Solution was to make a washer to fit inside of the filler neck with a hole just big enough to get the nozzle into placed about three inches down from cap.. Can have a separate vent line to atmosphere [or charcoal can] with non vented cap or to area of filler neck between washer and cap of filler neck with vented cap..

5. topher5150

topher5150

Silly question, not sure if it was addressed or not, but why was she in your garage sniffing your car?

mike bowling likes this.
  6. I think you meant to say "analog". Computers are about as solid state as you can get.

In other news, I had a '66 Mustang that had a strong gasoline/exhaust smell when driving it. I sold it before I could fix it, but it was one of the reasons I didn't like driving the car as much as I thought I would. I'm sensitive to a rich smelling exhaust to begin with, it irritates my throat. My wife was no fan of how it stunk up the garage either.

7. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

And that smell will cling to you after you're done driving it.

8. Budget36

Budget36

Assuming a stock set up, she'd have to use a vented one, if she decides to go the canister route and does proper plumbing, she can use the non-vented cap.

9. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

Ann Marie, adding to your story helps. Having never lived in a building with underground parking
    I can't say what would or could bother me when it comes to oders, pollutants, etc. but people act differently to things. I had a neighbor in an apartment building who took exception to my motorcycle
    being parked too close to their wall mounted air conditioning unit, saying gas fumes were being sucked into their apartment. How could I argue with that? I found a different place to park.

Of course you don't want to get rid of your ride. Is your parking assigned, can you move it as far away from entrances to the units as possible? Battles like this are seldom won, but sometimes they're settled.

10. Model A Vette

Model A Vette

I have had similar notes put on my dd '88 Celebrity sw.
    I park it on a street in our condo complex. Everyone has a single garage and a space.behind the garage. The street has about 50 street legal parking spots. Someone left a note saying that they needed the spot I parked in because they had a shortage of spots.
    Someone contacted the management and said my car was full of garbage. The "garbage" consisted of clothes I use when visiting junk yards and a couple of boxes of brake shoes.
    It turns out her front windows faced.the spot and she wanted to park a car there so she could watch it. I moved my car and checked out the Altima she parked there. The passenger front floor and seat were covered with coffee takeout holder and food wrappers! I guess garbage means different things to different people.
    Because my car is almost 30 years old it is easy to pick out among the Lexis, Audi, Mercedes and other hi end cars here!
    I was thinking of repainting it from the present black to a multi-color hippy paint job from the 60s-70s to see what they would complain about then.

11. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Sounds like the neighbor was having a bad day and took it out on you. Yea, sloshed gas smells, but it doesn't tend to linger in the air that much, especially if there's even the slightest breeze. IMO, I'd leave her be. She had her "15 minutes of fame", at your expense, and has probably moved on to the other pains in her ass.

12. I was watching one of the weekend car shows on TV last weekend and one of the new products they showed was a line of aftermarket vapor filters, I assume they're some sort of charcoal setup but looked very adaptable to hot rod use.

13. trollst

trollst

After reading all this, it has occurred to me that the simplest solution hasn't been discussed here.
    Next time you see her, give her a tour of your truck, explaining all the stuff you've done, where it came from and the importance of recycling. Then, take her for a ride, be ever so nice, find the smoothest roads you can and you'll be her buddy for life. Believe me, it works.

jerseyboy and Bruce Fischer like this.
  14. pwschuh

pwschuh
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Seems like a lot of folks here are not reading all of the OP's posts. She has said more than once that it is NOT a gas smell problem.

I would simply tell her that you don't smell what she is smelling and perhaps if she could find someone else that could also smell it, it might help you localize the source. I doubt she would follow through.

15. Leevon

Leevon
    from Nixa, MO

Nothing fixes crazy...but if you just want to do something about the fuel smell, I have done a simple solution in my '50 chevy truck. I have the stock fuel system and my wife doesn't like the smell in the garage after driving. Also, the vented gas cap wasn't venting quick enough and creating too much suction on the electric fuel pump. I removed the factory filler neck and placed a hose nipple fitting in it, then routed a loop of fuel hose high up into the cab corner, and down through the floor to the frame rail where it ends near the rear axle. I placed a common plastic fuel filter at the end. It does a really good job of keeping the fuel smell down. I think the key is the high loop and filter keeping the heavier vapor out of the air.

16. Well you should have called the police when she attacked you in the garage, surly you had physical injuries from the attack.

Or is this the "snowflake" kind of attack where you weren't really attacked, you were just harshly talked to ?

sawbuck likes this.
  17. WiredSpider

WiredSpider

Have a neighbour like that ,thinks they are better than everybody,just not very neighbourly.
    Karma is a bitch as guess who,s kid turned out to be the junkie burglarying the area

olscrounger likes this.
  18. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Buy a case of this stuff at Summit. Gas tank scents. Of course if the neighbor is an alcoholic I'd suggest not using the Pina Colada, you'll never get her out your garage.
    upload_2017-8-5_13-50-51.png

Torkwrench and mike bowling like this.
  19. DDDenny

DDDenny
    from oregon

Cripes, who dreams this sh/# up!

20. RMONTY

RMONTY

Cripes, who buys this sh/#!

iwanaflattie and Bandit Billy like this.
  21. The37Kid

The37Kid

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^Does that stuff come in peanut scent, would be great if the bitchy neighbor was allergic to them. Bob

Bruce Fischer and Bandit Billy like this.
  22. mike bowling

mike bowling

Just a malcontent- find out where there's a good ice cream place and ask her to go for an ice cream some time.( in your truck) Maybe a whole new world will open up for her, and by next season SHE'LL have an old car that stinks!

Or-tie a fish to the muffler of her car- old Gloucester trick (from when I was a kid and fish was cheap!)

If that doesn't work, I'll send my Uncles , Louie and Guido, down to have a chat with her.
    Fuggetaboudit!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
    Bruce Fischer and Cosmo49 like this.
  23. Bandit Billy

Bandit Billy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Nosy old biddy next door neighbors with over developed olfactory senses and under developed social graces.

24. xpletiv

xpletiv
    from chiburbs

Is the ice cream place before or after the leaflet about the morgue?

25. When you meet your snooty neighbor again tell her you would like to help rectify the problem but with 118 confirmed chemical elements on the parabolic table and 94 are naturally occurring elements on earth with the other 24 being synthetic elements odds are it's not your car but most likely one of the newer cars with all the environmental trappings.

You could always inform her that the smell may very well be emitted from her car or a auto near were she is standing that has a catalytic converter
    that is going bad.

A faulty catalytic converter will often produce a horrible smell that smells like a combination of rotten eggs and sulfur or worse.

Assure her your old truck does not have the new EPA/smog crap that has chemical smells. HRP

luckythirteenagogo likes this.
  26. Wow, four pages of whiney PC crap.
    This is where the Hamb is headed, and it ain't traditional.
    Attacked? In my day, this word meant someone beat on someone, now it's used to garner effect for anyone with an axe to grind.

I get the gas smell issue, ain't no big thing, fix it, and ignore the bored neighbor.

swade41, Surfcityrocker, X38 and 3 others like this.
  27. Flathead Dave

Flathead Dave
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from So. Cal.

I blame it on the fat kid who keeps eating pizza and ice cream....

kiwijeff likes this.
  28. Cosmo49

Cosmo49

Ignore the neighbor and be proud of yourself for working on and learning about your old truck.

29. There is always something going on that somebody is going to carp about,we are ALL guilty from time to time. HRP

kiwijeff likes this.
  30. True HRP, this place ain't PC fakebook, but it's feeling like it's headed there sometimes.
    I won't give you any carp about your spelling, haha.:D;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.