Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help: My neighbors are complaining

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Ann Marie, Aug 4, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

Apparently my car smells "toxic". I have had an issue with a Power Steering leak which I have fixed and cleaned up, but my neighbor just attacked me in that garage to tell me how "she knows" my car has "extra" chemicals.... I told her that the "chemicals" are the exact same. My gas engine has the same as any other gas engine, but it is not as sealed as other cars, but it is street legal, etc...

I ended up walking off bc when I asked her what she would suggest be done about it she said "I wish I could afford to help people like you and buy you a better car." Hahahahahaha!

Anyway, I am posting this to see how other members handle this and is there a higher responsibility (above the basic) regarding how we as classic car owners need to have to keep the "smell" of our cars from offending neighbors.

Apparently the noise from another neighbors Harley pipes are not an issue bc it is new.

My gas tank has been moved to the back and when I fill it, it tend to splash out of the vent, so I try to under fill so this does not happen.

Any advice both technical and political is appreciated.

classiccarjack, els and Bruce Fischer like this.
  2. blowby

blowby
    from Nicasio Ca

I'd probably have my dog take a big dump by the garage and let her smell that.

3. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

Just because she is complaining doesn't necessarily mean you have to do anything. Perhaps she was just 'venting' (pun optional) and is satisfied to have had her say. Unless she continues to complain, I would not worry about it.

Ray

4. Phillips

Phillips
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

In all likelihood this thread will get closed, as you will get some useless "bad ass" advice like "do a burnout in her yard, etc.". You should mention where you live, as there may be a local HAMBer that has gone through some of the same concerns that could help you.

That said, I suggest:

1. Find out what local ordinances state regarding car parking, working on cars in your drive, and car storage, i.e. if registration needs to be current, keep it current; if yearly inspections are required, follow the rules to the letter; find out who the local code enforcement officers are, and be helpful and friendly if they stop by. Basically if you are following the rules, then your neighbor has no grounds to cause problems for you.

2. Take the high road with your neighbor. It may be difficult, but generally people leave others alone if you are friendly and at least appear to listen to their concerns.

Good luck.

jerseyboy, 0351, OahuEli and 8 others like this.

5. I usually don't pay any attention to fools.
    Or if you must, you can simply point out that the EPA itself says that building ONE new car results in over 10,000 lbs (I forget the exact num, I thought it was close to 20k) of smokestack pollutants, toxic chemicals and wash liquids, and nonrecoverable waste.
    That is much more than your old polluting car can put out in 25-35 years of you driving it.
    YOUR CAR IS CLEANER THAN THEIRS SIMPLY BECAUSE IT WAS ALREADY HERE.
    Keeping an old dirty car running for years and years is much cleaner than melting and machining and sweeping up from building a new one from scratch.
    RE USE AND REBUILD is far far cleaner because yours
    WAS ALREADY HERE.
    Published EPA numbers tell you that.
    She has the dirtiest car, not you, because they had to melt down one of yours to make hers.

...or better yet, just chuckle and laugh when your neighbor talks...
    they love that
    or complain about them killing off the honey bees with their strict yardkeeping,
    or the endangered pink mole you saw them kill with the mower,
    or their nonstop ac killing the ozone, they should be ashamed.
    point out that they are the biggest offenders with the dirtiest carbon footprint.

the next time she says anything about wishing she had the money to "help" you (that's the biggest clue about her superior attitude and mindset), ask her how much she was asking to borrow from you?

or just do what I do....
    grin and chuckle.

why be ordinary?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
    Ned Ludd, kiwijeff, nochop and 5 others like this.
  6. I would have told her to F the F OFF!..... But that's just me behind my keyboard..... But- I would tell my neighbors the same if it happened to me. Sorry- Im no help.

7. I had a nieghbor complain about the soap I was using to wash my car and that it was draining into the storm sewer. He ended up having a stroke. I continued to wash my car.

Wurger, Caprice89, 283john and 14 others like this.
  8. nothing better than a good neighbor.......nothing worse than a bad neighbor

9. williebill

williebill

If you have a neighbor who can smell stuff that's "wrong" with your car, I'd suggest ignoring the hell outa her. Always remember, crazy people are unpredictable. If you can't be much more batshit crazy than she is, then pretend she isn't there.

10. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

what is this toxic car of yours?

11. theHIGHLANDER

theHIGHLANDER
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Neighbors. Can't live with em, can't shoot em (!). Ignore it. Just nod, "Yeah I hear ya, but I fix everything as it needs it."

My neighbor has to know what I paid for shit. Same answer for 15 years and he doesn't get the hint."I didn't pay a dime, actually got paid to drag it away." Most polite "None of your f@#kin buisness!" I can muster. I consider myself lucky that's all I have to deal with.

kiwijeff, els, brad2v and 3 others like this.
  12. Torana68

Torana68
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Australia

ok maybe the '50 truck, get some other '50's cars over for a BBQ invite her but most of all her better half, so maybe then she will better understand and leave you alone. If not just move on, I had EPA call around thanks to a dickhead neighbour, nothing came of it.........except the neighbour found out I could be really annoying.

kiwijeff and Ann Marie like this.
  13. Tell her she's right, it does have an 'extra'; you added a chemical that's harmful to nosy nellies, best if she stays away.... ;)

55Belairman, Ann Marie and Budget36 like this.
  14. So ya know I've been a car builder all my life and just now hit 70. I now see both sides of the Coin. Issues with neighbors just plain Sucks. I tend to go over the limit just to keep them pleased. I do a lot of fab work and seem to not Piss anyone off. Hay, it works for me.
    So let's talk about your specific issues and see if we can't help you out. First off, do you notice a Smell? If so would you like it not to? If yes to either maybe your neighbor isn't to far out of line.
    The Wizzard

15. belair

belair

I think women handle things differently than men, usually. Tell you neighbor she's mistaken. Next time tell her to mind her own business and to leave you alone. And like my old daddy told me "you don't buy a house, you buy a neighborhood.

16. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

I wouldn't worry about it. People like that will always find something to complain about.

Bruce Fischer and Ann Marie like this.
  17. Okay, I read your intro. That helped a bit. Tank in the rear, low fill tube and vent close to fuel level. I think we can cure your Gas smell if you'd like. Your going to have to add some info to get there though.
    The Wizzard

Ann Marie and GreaserJosh13 like this.
  18. arkiehotrods

arkiehotrods

Just say, "You may very well be right," and then go back to what you were doing.

Cambusta, Bruce Fischer and Ann Marie like this.
  19. quick85

quick85
    BANNED

No one's considered that maybe the neighbor has a point or actual complaint? I'm not one to
    knuckle under to unreasonable neighbors with goofy complaints, but if there's an actual problem
    with the vehicle, no matter what type it is, fix it or get rid of it. If there's a piece of crap sitting in
    the open next to my house with oil, fluid and coolant stains laying out a road map on the driveway,
    with the blue plastic tarp half off and flapping in the wind showing off the rust holes, I'm going to
    be a pissed off neighbor too.

20. trollst

trollst

Nosy neighbours can be a real problem, each one needs their own solution. Because you have to live with her means you have to find a way to deal with her, remember, if she talks to you, then she talks to the rest of the neighbours too. Find out where they stand, then if appropriate, tell her what you think of her and she'll be offended enough to not bother you.
    If she has the neighbourhoods ear, remember, fifty can fuck one better than one can fuck fifty. You'll lose.

21. watch the language the op is a lady

Bowtie Coupe, TagMan, Fordors and 4 others like this.
  22. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

Wow! You guys are awesome! Thanks for the support.

For those who asked, My truck is registered, insured and road legal. I am in Cali so there are a lot of ill informed psudo-environmentalists here.

My truck was hot roded out when I bought it and has a 350 V-8 5.7 liter Olds in it, a turbo trannie, power breaks and steering. I rewired it myself with a painless 10101 kit and put in a new starter, Optima battery, alternator, Be Cool radiator, water pump, fuel pump, Black magic fan, new seats, carpet, interior paint and took the old gas tank out by myself. The rest I had to hire out, but mechanically it is running pretty well- since it is custom, I am still tweaking it a bit here and there.

I DO have a problem with the gas smell and try not to overfill. This is a problem I have not been able to solve yet.

I did quite a bit of cussing under my breath about how I will REBUILD my carburetor, engine and other parts that I can turn in a core and her POS made of plastic and computer chips will end up in a landfill along with the other 3-5 cars she will buy in the next 30 years while I am still making 1950 look amazing, lol. In addition, the slave labor used to mine for minerals that go into the chips in her "Leaf" etc... and the Chinese or Indonesian kids that make the chips and get paid a $1 a day do not do any work on my behalf (save my iPhone) whereas my 100% metal and leather car can be melted down and repurposed and was 100% made in America by American hands.
    (Don't get too excited boys, I'm a liberal, lol)

Also, for the record, I live in an apartment building and this is underground parking, so the smell of gas when I overflow may be smellier than a newer car with fuel injection and O2 sensors, etc..., but I am street legal and not particularly giving a crap about her attitude, or her BS opinion that my car has MORE chemicals then hers (Ummm...no, it does not), but as a responsible citizen, wanted to check here to see what might be done to improve the "user friendliness" of my truck

I'm guessing she is also a vegan, lolz.

Any technical advice is more than welcome. And thank you again for the support.

23. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

Thank you! Good point, please see below response.

Steve Ray likes this.
  24. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

Yes, please. See my longer response on this thread.

25. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

See my answer re: my truck details. Thank you!

26. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

Thank you. I am 100% legal and I drive it daily. :)

27. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

This was my cussing under my breath response, lol. <3 Thanks!

28. Ann Marie

Ann Marie

See my reply in thread.

29. F-ONE

F-ONE
    from Alabama

Take the high road.....ignore it (the altercation) but try to correct any problems with your vehicle.
    I'm not a fan of under the bed tanks but tell me what you have Please.
    The 1964-66 Mustang tank is a really common swap. It has filler on top and is filled through a hole in the bed.
    Other tanks with side fill and long rigged up hoses crammed in there, can be problematic. I have seen this with custom built fire trucks and it was always a Pain in the Butt.
    So let us know your tank set up and maybe we can help.
    On your intro you mentioned going computerized....Honestly I think you would be much happier going the other way....solid state.

30. Steve Ray

Steve Ray

Lot of keyboard warriors out tonight. If MY car was venting so much gas vapor that the smell was permeating the underground garage that other people use, then I would try to address the problem. When people tell me, "I have the right!" I say, "Your rights end where my nose begins". I know where the boundaries of my rights are as well.

Some people are physically sensitive to things like this and can have breathing difficulties. I had those growing up, and they came back to me in middle age and as a result I don't take breathing for granted. You just don't know.

A little condescending and passive aggressive, yes. You did the right thing by walking off, and if you refrained from saying "screw you", then you took the high ground.

Ann Marie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.