Register now to get rid of these ads!

help my model a roof is 4in too tall

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by welded78, Mar 11, 2012.

1. welded78

welded78
    from ct

hi im looking for any advice i can get im going to chop my 30 model a coupe and dont have a clue where to start. i really would like to avoid making any big mistakes pics would help thanks.

2. mashed

mashed
    from 4077th

3. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

Just do a search.. Been covered many times and some threads have some good pics....

4. 4" is a bigger bite than you think. This is going to sound silly but before you cut put your seat in place and then sit in it with a 4" thick block of foam or something similar on the top of your head. Then think about the compromises in comfort and windshield visibility you will have to make.

Resist the urge to put the chop on the top of the "to do" list. Get your chassis sorted out first and bolt the body down solid. Make sure the doors hinge freely and that all of the necessary shimming and adjusting has been done.

Finalize your seating and steering wheel and pedal locations. With all that done, get your foam block and do another test. 4" may work for you. I hope it does. But you should build your rod to fit you. To do that, you need to start with your ass and work up.

5. rats28

rats28
    from Louisiana

Do some research before you cut!! And measure 10 times it's not that bad as I have only chopped one A coupe.

6. Willy301

Willy301

I agree, a 4" chop is a pretty aggressive chop. A recent thread has a guy unchopping one that had been chopped too far. Make sure, when you do your foam pad test that you cover the bottom 4 inches of the windshield with paper or something, so you can see what you will see as well as how close your head will be to the roof... I would set the seat on 4x4"s though, without the steering column in the way. that way the "cushion" of the foam is only from the seat you plan to use. the 4" foam block idea, while good, will likely show a bit more head room than you will really have...

7. F&J

F&J

I was at a friends house a few days ago, and he just towed this one out of storage

I did sit in it to see how the chop and firewall setback was like. I'm 6' maybe lost an inch over the years... anyways, no problems at all. My only dislike is someone set back the entire center of the firewall for a puny little sbc? We can't see why it was done, but that messes up gas pedal room. Gas pedal comfort is the biggest issue on most early bodied rods...with a stick it gets more important. IMO

As your G/F Farmergal would probably say, "if your'e gonna chop it, chop it good, or go home";)

Attached Files:

8. I'd say 4" is max as long as you don't channel it. If you do also channel it, I sincerely hope that your a vertically challenged person ! :cool::eek::D

9. F&J

F&J

I got a chance to measure the red coupe window height yesterday. The door window opening is exactly 10" at the center.

6 months ago, we did measure a stock 30 coupe that I had then, but we can't remember what it was. We are thinking 3" chop? I'd measure yours if you like this chop.

Attached Files:

10. Just for the heck of it place a few ads and see if you can find someone interested in doing a body swap.

Charlie Stephens

11. pincher

pincher
    from Saginaw

If you have never chopped a top before Rob Paul at one time had a thread that was excellent on chopping a model A roof. I have chopped alot of cars and i still walk around the garage with a 6" cut of wheel for 2 hours until i get up enough courage to make the first cut. Good luck...........PINCHER

12. Harry 6674

Harry 6674
    from WA.

My model a coupe is chopped 2 1/2 inches in the rear to 2 3/4 inches in the front and it can really feel tight at 6'2". Maybe take a couple of inches out of the posts and set the top back on, if it feels like it needs more go for it. If you have ever chopped a top before you know to make your cuts in the posts attached to the body rather then trying to cut the posts attached to the now flimsy top. Have fun.

13. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

Important: Put an offset in the cut at the left & right seams on the back so you can bolt it back together/align it easyer.

14. djust

djust
    from Oklahoma

I chopped my A Sedan 4" and now I wish it had only been 3"
    Even an inch makes a big difference.

15. crashbox

crashbox

Everything Bibs says is true. I also learned that you need to perfect your metal working skills, or get a pro to do it. It ain't as easy as it looks.