Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help mounting shocks 4 tubular A drop axle

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevil, Jul 20, 2009.

1. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Hey guys need some help from the hamb once again. I have a 4" tubular drop axle with the spring behind. Whats the best way to mount the front shocks to this setup. The upper mount is self explanitory with a bolt on or weld on upper mount. My question is whats the best way to mount the lower shock mount. The hairpins are welded on to the drop axle and its tubular so theres not really any mounting point. Sometimes you see guys change the outside spring shackle to one with a mount but theres not room on my setup. What are the other options? Thanks alot

2. To Tall

To Tall

This must be a Florida thing I can’t find a good way to mount mine either I am thinking of using friction shocks or no shocks at all

3. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Yeah kinda sucks...one guy said well or drill the mount into the drop axle but I was trying to see if there were any other options before I go that far

4. Phil1934

Phil1934

I bought the middle plates from CCR to mount shock above spring as no room for others. I'll post pic in AM.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009

5. If the hair pin mounting points are welded to the axle I have seen guys weld a bracket on to these and mount the shock off of that.

6. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Phil 1934 where is CCR? I have seen the plate on th far left but not the others. It looks like one of those could solve my problem!

7. Phil1934

Phil1934

http://californiacustomroadsters.com/cacr2.html Be sure to explain which shape as they sent me wrong ones first time. Update: I hadn't fit shocks as no paint yet, but they slightly interfere with the spring, so I will weld up half the upper hole and redrill it 1/4" higher. You might want to make plates from scratch.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2009
  8. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Heres the pics of my front suspension if this helps at all?!?!

Attached Files:

• 001.JPG
      001.JPG
      File size:
      278.1 KB
      Views:
    • 002.JPG
      002.JPG
      File size:
      248 KB
      Views:
  9. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Theres gotta be someone out there with this problem....im going to do the headlight shock mount combo for the upper....but the lower??? welding a shock bung maybe....HELP

10. super plus

super plus
    BANNED

Drill the axle and weld a threaded bung

11. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

Ended up making some lower shock tabs from scratch....turned out great!

Attached Files:

• 025.JPG
      025.JPG
      File size:
      201.9 KB
      Views:
    • 026.JPG
      026.JPG
      File size:
      204 KB
      Views:
    • 034.JPG
      034.JPG
      File size:
      221.8 KB
      Views:
  12. the shock mount looks good but the real scary think is the fact that you are using a drill press with gloves on.... are you crazy
    be careful buddy
    tk

13. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

NICE! Its called going from grinding to press to grinder to press....and learning being that 5 min before I dug a 1/4 inch gap in my knuckle with the grinder

14. dana barlow

dana barlow
    from Miami Fla.
    1. Y-blocks

I mounted these by making a longer G8 Bolt and spacer that also holds the bottom wishbones end,too hold base of shock,the shock leans back about 15* at top and mounts to frame from a homemade alum bracket.

Attached Files: