Register now to get rid of these ads!

HELP - Model-A Roadster Body Mounting Wood

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Flat Ernie, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Well I've tried to get the roadster body mounted firmly to the chassis I got from Sam in an effort to make this a bit more effortless to roll/drive about the yard. So I ordered welting and rubber shims and a bed wood & bolt kit from Macs.

It's been here a while, but I've been too distracted with the '36 to fool with it. Anyway, today I decided to try to mount the body.

The jigsaw puzzle that is the body wood kit came with some rudimentary drawings. I've marked them up and included them below. Basically, there are five pieces on each side. I've numbered them 1-5 front to back.

At issue is where exactly do these go? #1 and #5 are quite easy. It's the exact location of No.s 2, 3, & 4. I can find no real corresponding holes in the frame (well, sort of for #3 and 4, but there are two sets of holes). I was hoping some kind soul with experience in these endeavors could give me some measurements so I can get this in the right location!

Do all these holes in the wood line up with corresponding holes in the frame/body? For example, #2 appears to set in the body crossmember, but there are no corresponding holes. #3 or 4 would appear to also sit in a body crossmember, but which where?

Attached Files:

2. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

#2 has two holes because it is ment for either the right or left side. You will not use both holes (in the block), only one on each side. All the wood blocks go inside the body crossmembers and are trimed on an angle or have a notch out of them to clear part of the subrail.

3. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

EDIT:

All of the wood blocks go inside the body crossmembers. SOME are trimed on an angle or notched to clear where the body crossmembers bend downward under the subrails.

4. mercjoe

mercjoe

Oh boy. What is all that wood for ? is it really necesary to use those blocks to mount a body ?
    Cant it be done in any other way with a 34' Tudor body and frame ?

Thanks !!

5. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

Thanks for the help.

What about #3 & 4? There's only one body crossmember back there...

I'm going outside now to stare at it some more. I gave up after the post & went back to the '36!:D

6. loudpedal

loudpedal
    from SLC Utah

Huh? Only one? There are two on the roadsters I've messed with...

The rear-most crossmember is directly in front of the rear seat riser / trunk floor (about 10 1/2 inches ahead of the mounting hole that is above the rear axle).

7. Flat Ernie

Flat Ernie
    Tech Editor

OK - went & relooked - you're right of course. The drawing makes it look like #3 & 4 are right next to each other and, conveniently, there are two sets of holes that are right next to each other on the frame...

I think I've got it sorted out now - appreciate it!!