Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help! - Mechanical Temp Sender in 59AB Heads

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Boryca, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

Morning folks. I've got a problem and I'm curious what has been done in the past to rectify it. I just bought a replacement mechanical temp gauge for my '35 Ford pickup, and when I went to install it, the probe just kept going down into the head! It seems that there isn't a shoulder in the head for the probe to seat on... (59AB)

How have you tackled the problem? I looked up adapters but can't find one that would appear to work. Of note - the threads engage just fine and tighten up. The water leaks from between the probe lead and the threaded fitting.

Thanks in advance!
    Mike

2. Yes they require a fitting to go between the sender and the head. Most new gauges come with a selection of sizes. What sizes do you need? Or post a pic?

3. e z i

e z i

Here's my set up. Came with the S/W gauge I got from speedway.
    IMAG0226.jpg

4. I got the proper one from Jegs.
    The head should be 3/8 NPT (a tapered and threaded hole)
    Maybe someone "modified" it or overtighted and then rethreaded it at some point.
    The senders I got were two wire so I didnt have to worry about the grounding at the threads so I could use teflon if needed.
    Something like this I think....
    https://www.jegs.com/i/Longacre-Racing/441/46150/10002/-1

5. alchemy

alchemy

Sometimes NAPA stores carry these adapters. Easier than ordering a size you don't know online. Take your gauge into NAPA and see what they have.

6. Boryca

Boryca
    from Detroit

This is exactly what I need! Thanks! I'll do the looking around for one.

7. 10685rusty

10685rusty