Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical HELP ME

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Doctorterry, Nov 26, 2015.

1. Doctorterry

Doctorterry

Sssoooo I was doing a burn out.... Automatic transmission, in a '62 chevy. The tranny shifted into 2nd and then made a loud noise and the engine revved up because the power wasn't being put to the wheels any more. When I put the car in park there was a grinding sound so I took it back out. I shut it off and we rolled it, and it popped and cracked in the rear end. I started it back up and put it in drive and it had a delayed shift by about 10 seconds. It drove fine when in gear, but made a pop and went out of gear again. Now when I put it in park it doesn't grind, but it doesn't keep the car from rolling.

The scary part is, dad doesn't know and he is probably going to murder me. I just want to know if it could just be in the rear end? What do you all think?

2. Imwalkin

Imwalkin
    from Tucson, Az

Your grounded.

flyin-t, clem, hidez57 and 6 others like this.
  3. ratman

ratman

Grounded and screwed

falcongeorge, Texas57 and tb33anda3rd like this.
  4. 49ratfink

49ratfink
    from California

I say blame it on Eddie Haskell.

5. luckythirteenagogo

luckythirteenagogo
    from Selma, NC

All he needs to know is that it started making noise while you were on your way home and you were lucky enough to make it. Wait, you didn't do the burn out in front of YOUR house did you?

6. big duece

big duece
    from kansas

I would get the molten rubber off the quarter panel first.

7. hotroddonnie

hotroddonnie

LOL!!!! Maybe it was the burn out your dad did that started the problem. That's why he lent you the car.

8. Hnstray

Hnstray
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Quincy, IL

'fess up. Tell him what happened. Lying only compounds your problem. Your Dad, or somebody who has to deal with repairing it, will easily figure out you were abusing the car at the time.

You Dad will be pissed, and rightly so if it's his car we are talking about. But his anger will be offset somewhat by the respect he will have for you for being a man and taking responsibility for the consequences of your actions.

Ray

9. slowmotion

slowmotion

Geeez Beav, Dad's gonna really clobber ya....

53_Fez, 302GMC, 49ratfink and 7 others like this.
  10. is the linkage moving the arm on the tranny ok? motor mounts ok? tranny mount ok?
    sounds like if nothing in the linkage pulled out of adjustment, you need to drop the pan and see what parts are in there.
    Tell dad. then fix it. makes you a man.

SanDiegoHighwayman likes this.
  11. mike bowling

mike bowling

Responsibility for your actions will gain respect from your peers. Now go to your room.

12. texasred

texasred
    from Houston

1962 I blew the tranny in my Dads 57 chevy , he listened to my bs story of how it happened, his reply was a size 12 redwing in my ass. Not for blowing the tranny but the for lie I told him..

INVISIBLEKID, 56don, Hnstray and 2 others like this.
  13. crazy wheel

crazy wheel
    from Missouri

Just so you know, you are probably not the only one that has ever had to explain this to your Dad.....
    I remember the transmission going out in my Folks car, shortly after I turned 16. Also having to explain how the new tires wore out so quickly around that same time.....
    Heck it might hereditary......
    My oldest sons' first car, had trouble with the rear end. (My youngest ratted him out. driving like the Duke boys, out in the pasture). Then the tread mysteriously disappeared from the rear tires.
    Hopefully, your Dad will take his youth into account when you tell him the truth....

14. Petejoe

Petejoe
    from Zoar, Ohio

Remember taking dads 62 Chevy out when I was 16 on a date back in 69. Run the piss out of it. When he drove it he said the car seemed to be a lot more responsive knowing I blew the carbon out of it. I played dumb. You can't ever fool the old man. Fess up.

15. brady1929

brady1929

I was lucky I didn't t break anything when I did burn outs. Tell the truth. Not much worse then your kid lying to you. Turn it into a learning experience by fixing it together.

16. doinbad

doinbad
    from celina tn

Sounds like you broke the rear end At 17 i backed out of the drive way in my dads 70 chevy he wasn't home so rolling backwards dumped clutch nothing happened. Tore center out of the clutch. I never told him and put a new disc in it about 5 years later tore truck down to put rear main seal in it. He said that's funny i thought the clutch you put in would be wore more than that! so i got a new one i said how did you know he said the greasy finger prints on the rocker you didn't wipe off ! Dad knows all!

17. haychrishay

haychrishay

I think it's the pinion in the rear end. As mentioned earlier, dad isn't as dumb as you think. My dad told me once after I pulled in the drive way with the brake drums glowing a dull orange" you're kind a hard on my truck ain't ya kid" . I said how did you know? His reply" I was 16 once and you had two older brothers to remind me."

40fordtudor likes this.
  18. 55willys

55willys

It could be as simple as broken spider gears. I got my old Ford truck stuck and was rocking back and forth shifting between 1st and reverse. I got it unstuck at the sacrifice of the spider gears. It would move as long as the pieces were jammed up but ended up getting towed home. I would say that the trans is still working because it was still spinning when you tried to put it in park.

19. i.rant

i.rant
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. 1940 Ford

Man up,the truth may get you a boot up your ass but it will be a respectable boot.

20. I think you blew the rear end and the parking pawl inside the tranny. Show your dad this thread tonight, just before dinner. His mind will be distracted by gravy and stuffing.:p

40fordtudor likes this.
  21. Mike51Merc

Mike51Merc

I think rear end spider gears stripped. The reason it made a grinding sound in park was because the driveshaft was still spinning (because there was nothing to stop it) when you moved the shifter.

Everybody here is treating you like a kid. Now fess up and tell them you're really 50 years old and your dad's 72.

22. This.

23. squirrel

squirrel

1977....that's when I did that. I fixed it, too.

Don't worry, it's just part of growing up with cars.

24. Hot Rods Ta Hell

Hot Rods Ta Hell

Is the 62 Chevy yours or your Dad's?
    How old are you?
    If it comes down to a brawl, can the Old Man still take you?

If he's truly going to murder you, wait until after Thanksgiving dinner to tell him. That way you get one good last meal.

falcongeorge, timwhit and clem like this.
  25. The last thing you want to do is lie about it, and especially lie to your old man. The car is broken and its nothing that some money and a few hours can't fix up better than new.

I'd guess that your old man told you not to what you did. They do do that for a few reasons

Bubba1955 and luckythirteenagogo like this.
  26. APACHE FS

APACHE FS

That's how a lot of us started fixing cars, to this day my Dad blames me for a blown trans in his car I never touched. I did buy and install new one... Figured it's a pay back for the shit he didn't find out about. Good luck, it's repairable for sure.

27. Life's lessons never fail to teach. The rear end is toast and so is yours!.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2015
  28. David Gersic

David Gersic
    from DeKalb, IL

Guess you'll be getting dirty tomorrow. Rebuild the rear end, drop the trans pan too to see if there's anything in it.

29. squirrel

squirrel

I wonder if it's a cast iron powerglide, like I got to fix? or something a bit easier to work on

30. wreckfixer

wreckfixer

Quote from The Sandlot "you're dead where you stand"