Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Help me with a suspension ?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by WhiteDevil, Feb 7, 2016.

1. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

I saw a 33' with this front suspension setup. I haven't seen this setup with the spring in front of the drop axle. Is this common? Like I said I haven't seen this? Is this normal or What's the deal?

Attached Files:

2. tfeverfred

tfeverfred
    Member Emeritus

Something doesn't look quite right.

3. WhiteDevil

WhiteDevil
    from Wichita KS

That's what I thought. Anyone else have any input?

4. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

If there isn't a panhard bar in there, then there is NOTHING to locate the front suspension from side-to-side.

If there is no panhard bar, you need to add one, or install a much shorter spring, and shorter shackles.

It does look a little like there is one, peeking out on the passenger side, attached to the 'bone.

If that is the case, and it was properly set up, this should be fine. Lincolns and others were set up this way (with shorter shackles, though).

As for spring in front of axle, that was how they were made, '37 (I think), and up.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2016

5. Not dropped , stock '42-'47 axle, looks like stock spring, too due to the big eyes. Using a spring forward on earlier cars for lowering seemed more common on east coast cars in the old magazines

6. Bill Rinaldi

Bill Rinaldi

Even back in the 50s putting a spring in front axle (ala 41/48 Ford) on 34 or older Fords was a big no no. It puts the axle way behind the radiator and really doesn't look right. That one looks like a 41/48 front axle set up. I'd like to see a side profile shot of the car. Bill Rinaldi

7. It's nothing but this without the Dropped Axle and Long Shackles to make up for it. Just a variation of factory Ford parts.
    The Wizzard

Attached Files:

8. MengesTwinCustoms

MengesTwinCustoms

You can see the panhard bar connected to the bone on the pass. side