Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help Me to Not Explode--gas tank related

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Stink63, Feb 11, 2009.

1. Stink63

Stink63
    from coumbus,Oh

Just wanted to say hey and ask a question. I am putting in a spun aluminium gas tank in the trunk area due to me being a cheap bastard. I am letting it gravity feed off the bung on the bottom of the tank feeding to a mechanical fuel pump. Question is: the cap appears vented or breathable, do I need some other sort of vent from the tank? The tank has only two holes, cap hole, bung hole(shit thats funny). Dont want an explosion or worse, get any one hurt for no reason. thanks.

2. dirybyrd

dirybyrd

the fuel return should be enough, do ya have a fuel return?

3. Shifty Shifterton

Shifty Shifterton

So you're saying the tank vents into the closed trunk thru the cap?

Might be worth having a local weld shop put another bung on top for a vent that can run under the car, and weld the cap's vent. As far as preventing fuel splash out the vent, maybe somebody else has an idea.

How much is this setup saving over a stock tank...the kind that won't require opening the trunk at every gas stop, dragging the hose over your paint as the wind gusts and slams the trunk into your head, making you wobble for a half second as the fuel nozzle drools 1/8 cup of gas onto whatever's in the trunk (hope it's not your girlfriend's stuff).........If you think that won't happen, it means you've never had a trunk mounted tank in a street car.

Good luck

Last edited: Feb 11, 2009
  4. 1950ChevySuburban

1950ChevySuburban
    Member Emeritus
    from Tucson AZ

Find the right tank on craigslist or something. Well worth the effort to do it right.