Register now to get rid of these ads!

Help me Rat out my 63 OLDS in Arizona

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kerry67, Apr 11, 2005.

1. Kerry67

Kerry67

Hi everyone....I am new in the AZ. area and don't know anyone yet. I picked up a super straight, great running 63 OLDS dynamic 88 Hardtop that I think needs to be flat black with flames. Anybody ddo this kind of work ? I am not looking for a show-winner, just want to have some fun....PLEASE let me know...Thanks, Kerry

2. Gotgas

Gotgas
    from DFW USA

I'll let the old timers jump your ass. :D

3. TRAVEZ

TRAVEZ

something is going to get flames or shall i say flamed?

4. Fraz

Fraz
    from Dixon, MO

Lower it, leave the color ALONE, slap a set of radirs on it with thin ww's, or a set of chrome reverse with spiders and blackwalls, and DRIVE THAT MOFO.

No more flat black....I love it but it's getting WAY excessive.

NO FLAT BLACK!! Got it?

5. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

My buick smells like ass from rats!but anyway,before you make any decisions I reccomend that you research some kustom history, you might find something a little more unique that you really dig! a belflower style 63 olds would be very killer, keep that in mind.

6. JamesG

JamesG

Let a family of racoons live in it for about three months, that should make it really ratty, or shitty.

7. InjectorTim

InjectorTim

I would paint it candy green with a flkaed out white roof, astro supremes with skinny whites, and bellflower tips, lower it, take of a little chrome, maybe some scallops, is there any other way to build a 63 Olds? :)

8. zman

zman
    from Garner, NC

Early 60's custom style... shiny paint, VERY shiny paint... supremes or radirs... skinny whites... low, very low...

9. If you want to RAT out the car, you need to paint if flat black with red rims. Put some mexican blankets on the seats, a skull shifter knob, some 8 ball door lock toppers, some shaggy white fur on the package tray, and get your Fat Assed girlfriend to ride with you.

Oh, and don't forget to put a used PBR can under the hood as an overflow tank, and some Ol Skool Rodz issues on the back seat.... :rolleyes:

10. I think you might want to do a little deeper research into 60's era customs. Lets see a pic ot two of what you have...maybe somebody will be kind enough to SHOW you a prime example of how your ride could look. Think..."SWANKY".

11. Noname38

Noname38

you forgot the 8ball valve stem covers

12. KustomSkylark

KustomSkylark

'63 olds is a squared car, I would put some pannels of scalops on it.

13. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Okay Kerry, I don't know why, but your vibe is one of misunderstanding other than being an asshole rat rodder. You see, rat rods are piles of unorganized shit. Conversely, hot rods and customs are not. If you came here to learn the ways of the traditional hot rod, then welcome. If you want to spray bomb a perfectly serviceable factory paint job just to be with the latest fad, well, that's sad, and I hope that is not the case. 1960's cars look best with paint, otherwise you are driving some mullethead's car that he got from his dead grandmother. It is a bad idea to just flat black a car for no other reason than to be kool in the eyes of the average OSR reader.

Please post some pics of your Olds and Poncho, I'm sure we can help you make them righteous if you will listen.

14. Kerry67

Kerry67

Wow....I never thought fellow rodders would be so rough....As for NoName....Thanks for the advice...Your girl may be fat-assed but mine is quite hot.
    As far as my 63 olds, it sat for years. It is a nice straight car. Needs paint badly, so it is not like I am ruining a good factory paint job. I happen to like the look of black with flames. Not jumping on any band wagon because if I was I would lower it like everyone else.....I think that looks like crap. Not every car is a lowrider. I want mine to sit just as it is. If anyone would like to help and give me some advice, great...I could certainly use and appreciate it. If you want to slam me, bring it on bitch.....give it your best shot, does not bother me at all.........Cheers, Kerry

15. 2xcrash

2xcrash

This is not a "rat rod".... pic17035[1].jpg (22.6 KB)

As someone who is new and learning as I go.... Lurk before you speak.... Get some pics of your car and ask nicely if someone can photo shop (sp) some ideas for you car. You'll be amazed by what you can learn here!!!

16. droplord49

droplord49
    from Bryan, Tx

1960's CARS SHOULD NEVER BE FLAT BLACK, EVER. Try something like this, simple, clean, and not very expensive.

17. Kerry67

Kerry67

Actually, my post about fat-assed girlfried should bo to HUDSONCUSTOM not No Name....My apologies......I even have a huge Hudson logo tattoo.......Cheers, Kerry

18. You're a newbie...it would be better, for you, to think BEFORE you type. Some of us are trying to EDUCATE you. First off...a 1960's ANYTHING can NEVER be a "ratrod"...it's too late of a year to be hotrod. Second...you should aspire to own MORE than a ratrod. I think if you open your mind, you'll see there is a HUGE difference between customs andd lowriders. Your car doesn't have to be slammed to be cool, just a bit lower than stock. Post a pic...I think you will surprised just how cool it COULD look. The 60's are a great era for customs. Regardless how crappy your current paint job is, flat black with flames is not the answer. If you want flames...cool! think seaweed flames...but at least paint the car with some tinted primer or satin paint. Step away from the magazines before that car gets hurt.

19. Kerry67

Kerry67

Thanks for the reply. I did think before I typed. I like the look.....I do not like the lowered look however. I came here looking for honest advice and people jumped all over me. Who cares if it not what they would do to their car. It is my car......I was just looking for help. I don't like crazy colors.....Why is black with flames not the answer ? Because it is already done ? So is lowering your car. How about some huge rims and low profile tires ? I hate that look as well. Now that is bandwagon jumping. I will take everyones advice and appreciate it, but I am the one who has to like the car. Thanks, Kerry

20. Kerry, save the flat black paint for something else please. It doesn't fit that era of car, If you have to do flattened paint I might suggest House of Kolor Silver metalic sealer primer and tint it with some Kandy Koncentrate. Not any more expensive than black and much KOOLER!

As for lowering it, stop by the shop and I can give you some pointers

Steve

Industrial Chassis Inc
    3536 W Osborn #5
    Phoenix, AZ 85019

602-278-6800

21. Kerry67

Kerry67

Silver could be cool.....when is a good time to stop by your shop.....Thanks for the help.....Kerry

22. I'm here from 9-6 Monday through Friday and drink beer here on Saturdays

your welcome any time.

23. Kerry67

Kerry67

Thanks man......What is your name ? Cheers, Kerry

24. lownslow

lownslow

that gold olds is BITCHIN' ! ..........

25. El Caballo

El Caballo
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Kerry, that is quite the offer, take it.

Also, I guess I was wrong to give you the benefit of the doubt...

26. You say you came looking for honest advice...man, that's what you're getting! People are trying to help you NOT fuck up your ride, save you some money,time and regret. Fine...you like flat black...get a car that warrants that kind of paint. You want a 60's car, stock height, flat black with flames? Sounds like maybe you should consider a muscle car. You most certainly CAN do whatever the hell you want with YOUR car, but probably not gonna much positive feedback from this crowd. You know line from the old song,"...don't ask me what I think of you, I might not give the answer that you want me to"...or something to that effect.

Here's some examples of seaweed-type-flames, in case you're unfamiliar with them. Do what you want with the info.

By the way, LownSlow...that gold car would better flat black. :D

27. Longroof64

Longroof64

That's funny, I was just going to say how much it sucks!! Seriously, I was actually going to post that pic as an example of a sweet 60's custom before I saw it was already there!

Kerry, here is my version of what everyone has been trying to say:

This is a site dedicated to traditional hot rods and customs (see it up in the top left corner?) Flat black with flames is NOT traditional... building a car in the same style as it would've been built "back then" IS traditional... if you're looking for rat rodders, or for rockabilly scenesters, you're in the wrong place... have you lurked long enough to see someone post about VWs yet?? Hoooo boy, not pretty!!

The people here (most of them) are people who love the history of hot rodding and car customizing, and who think that the fads that have come and gone will continue to do so (remember 80s pastel street rods with "neon" pinstripes??)... but the way they did it back then was cool and it will never "go out," because it ain't coming back "in"... these are people who look at old pics of Bonneville and Muroc and are inspired that guys were just as addicted to this shit in 1955 as we are here in 2005...

No one is jumping on you or telling you how to paint your car... just understand that if you're going to come to a traditional site and ask about a "fad" paint job you're gonna get some shit...

PS When didja get to AZ?? Have you been out to the Pavilions yet?? My bro and I may be out there next Saturday night ('62 Caddy and '64 Impala Wagon)...

Longroof (a.k.a. Ryan)

28. lownslow

lownslow

you suck longroof .....bahahaha

hey i will be at the pavillions in two weeks .....i will be in town seeing family and my mom and dad are going to go up there with me ...maybe i will see ya then ......later

29. Kerry67

Kerry67

Ryan, Thanks man.....I go to the pavillions every week just about. Either we take my brothers 65 Bel Air or my old 67 Belair wagon (sold). I have had my olds there once since I got it. I 'll look for you this week-end.....Thanks, Kerry