Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Help me make this old rear mount Stewart Warner Fuel gauge work

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris Casny, Jul 11, 2014.

1. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

I have an old split face, rear mount Stewart Warner gauge that I would like to use in my 29 roadster. This gauge is most likely 6 volt, but I will be running a 12V system.
    I have a sending unit, that reads 1.5 ohms empty and 92.5 ohms in the "full" position. The sending unit is newer and I was wondering if it was possible to make these two work together.
    The ammeter is another concern, since I'm running 12V.
    BTW, anybody know what year this gauge is and what it came out of?
    Thanks.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. HellsHotRods

HellsHotRods

You can run individual voltage reducers on both gauges and that should make them work on your 12V system. Vintique, MACS, Eary Ford Store - all have something that will work..
    I think that gauge is early 1930's Auburn, ESSEX ???

3. F-head

F-head

amp guage doesnt care, just wire it backwards for neg grnd.

4. tommy

tommy
    Member Emeritus

I can't tell you which sending unit you need but it must match the gauge. Once you have the correct sending unit for the gauge just use a runtz to supply the gauge with 6Vs. I got mine from EBAY.

Like said above the ammeter doesn't care what voltage you are using. If it should read backwards, just swap the wires on the terminals and all will be fine. An ammeter is just a flow indicator. The amount of flow and the direction of said flow. When everything is right it should show a flow towards the battery when it is charging. If the charging system is not working then the flow will be out of the battery.

5. Chris Casny

Chris Casny

Thanks guys.
    Does anybody know what the early SW gauges need in the "ohm department"? Is there a way to measure that gauge for that?

6. alchemy

alchemy

Stewart Warner gauges have been 240 to 33 ohms since the beginning of the 12 volt era. Not sure if that works the same for 6 volt.

7. Hi, I've sent you a message before. The Part# 94866. Has a 12V next to it. I have several S/W Duplex gauges.
    Some are 12V an were made without
    Shunts & Some are 12Volt with Shunts. The External 12 Volt Shunts
    Have a Clip attached, & a the Shunt looks LiKE a Double Metal Washer filled with resistor material. This Clip
    Has a Threaded Stud Bolt. Some of
    These Gauges have a Metal Square
    With a Metal Spring Coil. these types of Shunt are 24Volt. These would
    Be for military Applications. You remove this shunt, & it's 6volts. I'd call Williamsons in Fort Smith Ark. They are good People, that repair these S/W Gauges. An can tell You
    More Info. Call me if you need to ask
    Any Questions! Dereald Millsap
    (903) 952-1933.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!