Register now to get rid of these ads!

help me id this axle, i am lost

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by dalesdeadbug, Jan 28, 2011.

1. dalesdeadbug

dalesdeadbug
    from cincinnati

i bought this axle because it had '39 lincoln brakes and split bones and of course the price was right. i went to put a model a spring on it and found out its much wider at the perches than my spring. there are a couple of undrilled bosses that are close to the right width for the a spring. i looked on here for a while and im just lost.
    it measures as follows:53 1/4" from the kingpin centers
    41" from where the bones mount
    6 1/4" from kingpin to bone mount
    please help me

Attached Files:

2. landseaandair

landseaandair
    from phoenix

'39 Lincoln maybe.

3. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It looks like it might be a truck axle. Unless it is actually the axle for the Lincoln that the brakes came from.

4. 117harv

117harv

46 - 48 Lincolon for sure.

5. I'm at a loss. Perhaps a lincoln axle? How thick is the axle at the springperch boss?

There that'll get 'em started.

6. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

yep x2

7. Master of None

Master of None

+1 for Lincoln axle, think I read on a thread on here that stated that you need to run the Lincoln spring due to the fact they are longer.

8. 117harv

117harv

9. HOT ROD BILL

HOT ROD BILL

The spring is also too wide for Model A cross member, but you can get a main leaf made that is longer. Use Model A spring perches and shackles the rest of the spring pack and it'll work.

10. dalesdeadbug

dalesdeadbug
    from cincinnati

i think i may just put it in my bridgeport and drill the bosses that line up with the spring and leave the bones mounted farther outboard. this could make for an interesting looking setup. or perhaps someone near me would like to make me a deal on an axle i could use

11. lugnutz9032

lugnutz9032
    from Palatka,Fl

Nice score on the Lincoln brakes but just make sure you look at the big picture before modifying it. How does the front wheel track look compared to the back,anyone have a jig for dropping it if thats what you want,etc?