Register now to get rid of these ads!

help me ID an old transmission (chevy)

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by B Ramsey, Jan 19, 2011.

1. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

picked up an old Gibson tractor, i know its o-t but old man Gibson used whatever parts he could get and man, thats traditional. So it has an old chevy trans in it, i found a bowtie on a shift fork. its not synchronized so pre '32? cant find any pics or drawings that match it. im missing a shift fork and parts of the shifter tower and need to find some.

Attached Files:

2. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

any ideas where to find the missing parts?

3. F&J

F&J

One car that Chevy made in huge numbers was the model 490. No idea if that is it, but try a google image seach for chevy or chevrolet 490 transmission or maybe even engine.

Try some different keywords, you may find a lubrication chart that will show the motor and trans from above.

4. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

I have a 1948 Gibson Model D Garden Tractor also. However, I've been told the trans and rear end are MOPAR (Plymouth). That's definitely a Chevrolet Bow Tie on the fork however (?). The rear is definitely an 8 3/4 on mine. You can do an internet search for Gibson tractors. They were made in Seattle, and later, in Colorado. I've seen some with a more "tractor-like" rear end, with open axles. Tiller steering, dual manual brakes, a drop hitch, and front blade.Mine is going to be used for yard art. They come up for sale around here pretty often, anywhere between $200-$1200. Seen them on E-Bay also. Butch/56sedandelivery.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2011

5. Ah, the illustrious 490 Chevy 4 days on the road 90 in the repair shop!

6. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

ive also seen them with model A transmissions and rears. gonna look at one for sale this weekend. neat little tractors with a tiller for steering. ill search for the 490, thanks for the lead, never heard of a 490.

7. 56sedandelivery

56sedandelivery
    Member Emeritus

There's a current post on here, "Need help ID'ing an engine or two". One of the pics is a 216 Chevrolet block with a very similar trans bolted to it. It's probably from a truck as it has a foot starter. Butch/56sedandelivery.

8. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

its close, but not the same. on mine, the shaft for the forks sits on top of the case and are held down by the cover. thanks for the help. ill try to clean it up and look for any casting numbers.

9. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

thats different then my 36-39 chevy.

10. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i found 0532 casting on the side. maybe 32' chevy? cant find a pic of one.

11. looks like thy turned it a 1/4 turn, a lot of the old chev stuff will interchange, i stuck some 1947 parts in a 1954 trans, not quite original but they worked

12. B Ramsey

B Ramsey

i was thinking the same thing, but i dont beleive it is. drain plug on bottom, bellhousing bolt pattern, etc. reseach shows they used mopar, jeep, ford, and chev transmissions in these. maybe the shift tower is chev and the trans. is not? the case has six bolt holes while the shift tower has 4. they line up.